wood id please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

edinct

Apr 9, 2009
n.e. connecticut
the splits on the right show the wood and the ones on the left show the bark, its sort of stringy when splitting, any ideas on what it is. I am located in connecticut
Thanks

Attachments

• 20181209_152851.jpg
    20181209_152851.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 346
Norway maple - dead give away is the white wood w/ dark knots, outside bark is grey / silver

Looks like the cords of Bitternut hickory i have....the tree that seems to blow over the most in the woods behind my house.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reactions: PA. Woodsman
I've got Norway Maple in my own yard and it doesn't look like that, the bark on them is more ridged like Ash.

And the other reason I can tell this is Hickory is magnify the picture and up near the top of the splits you can see woodpecker holes in it, they love Hickory trees!

And it should have a faint smell of almost manure and be heavy, does it OP?

I'd go with hickory too. That was my first thought.
Smaller diameter hickory has smoothed, rounded bark. Hickory has white sapwood, so small diameters will be white. Stringy wood from splits is consistent with hickory.

Look for its branching habit. If opposite, definitely not hickory.

Both are good hardwood eitherway. If it is fresh the smell should be a good indicator. If others didn't note, norway maple smells like red maple, kind of a sweet fruity sugar cane kind of smell.

Second, if you have a good clean cross section of the end grain that could help. Hickory should have clear rings that are 2mm or so apart (less than 1/8"). Norway maple should be less distinct and have 4mm-5mm between rings (over 1/8").

Last edited: