Wood ID please!!!!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

captainjim04

Mar 4, 2009
Delaware
www.myspace.com
I scrounged a full truck load of pic 1 and 2 the other day. The wood has very smooth bark and a dark brown heart. My guess was walnut or ash but would think the bark should be rougher. Pic 3 and 4 my 5 year old and I scrounged 3 full truck loads yesterday already bucked but some need to be whacked to fit in stove. I think it is norway maple but like to hear what you all think. I scrounged this same kind a couple of years ago and was told it was norway maple and it burned incredible. Super heavy and I couldn't keep the stove under 550 with it.

I have been looking for dead fall for the next shoulder seasons and I have been finding green wood. Go figure!

Attachments

• 100_0151a.jpg
    100_0151a.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 775
  • 100_0155a.jpg
    100_0155a.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 772
I had to put the pics 3 and 4 on here. These are the ones I thought were norway maple. thanks...Jim

Attachments

• 100_0159a.jpg
    100_0159a.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 735
  • 100_0161a.jpg
    100_0161a.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 745
If you split or cut one of the logs with the dark center, is the newly exposed heartwood that same brown, or is it bright yellow? If yellow, then I'll go with mulberry, although the bark seems too smooth.

The other certainly looks like some kind of maple, but I've never had Norway maple to cut/split. I think Norway maple is a lower density/BTU wood, though, so perhaps you had sugar maple before?

DiscoInferno said:
If you split or cut one of the logs with the dark center, is the newly exposed heartwood that same brown, or is it bright yellow? If yellow, then I'll go with mulberry, although the bark seems too smooth.

The other certainly looks like some kind of maple, but I've never had Norway maple to cut/split. I think Norway maple is a lower density/BTU wood, though, so perhaps you had sugar maple before?
X2 Can we see a picture of a fresh split?

hard maple most likely norway

as soon as I buck and split one I will post a pic. I will do that today if this rain lets up. It's pouring down right now. I hope it lets upmay be because I am back to work tomorrow...

I think the maple is norway maple. Found some pics. here is one looks just like it. The sugar looks more of a shaggy bark.

thanks for the replies

Attachments

• norway%20maple1.jpg
    norway%20maple1.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 657
That bark looks alot like mulberry, but I've never seen mulberry with such dark heartwood. Then again, most mulberry trees don't get that big around. We scrounged some pretty good sized ones a month ago, maybe 20" or so in dia, and I don't recall it being that dark. Sort of purplish, maybe, but not that dark. That said, I'm no expert.

Looks like a young norway maple <25yrs. I think its considered a hard maple.

I think based on the bark the first two pics look like Ailanthus altissima, aka Ailanthus, or tree of heaven. This is a fast-growing weedy tree that would probably have light wood when dry, guessing just from the rate at which it grows. I have never cut one open to see if it is brown inside, and i don't know how it would burn. Ailanthus has a nasty smell, which might help with ID.

I split the wood from pics 1 and 2. It is brown inside the splits. There isn't much of a smell to it. The grain is really awsome looking.

Attachments

• P6110001a.jpg
    P6110001a.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 497
  • P6110002a.jpg
    P6110002a.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 502
  • P6110003a.jpg
    P6110003a.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 491
I have no idea what that is, but that is a beautiful color! Can you make me a bedroom suite from that? :)

No idea on pictures 1 and 2 but you're right on 3 and 4. Tree service cut a bunch of Norways on my street. I was able to get a couple cords and it looks exactly like your pictures. Glad to hear it burns well, which I figured it would since it weighs a ton.

young black walnut?

I'd say this is not young black walnut. Young black walnut around here have the same rough, ridged bark that older black walnut have, and besides, this is a pretty large tree.

I don't know what kind of wood it is but I showed pics to a logger friend and he said - hickory, bittersweet hickory to be exact. I got a couple cords of hickory from him last winter and to me, the bark does look like hickory.

Status
Not open for further replies.