Wood ID plz

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reckless

Feeling the Heat
Jan 24, 2013
Orange county, NY
Splits super easy and has a very fresh sent (like water melon not minty) I thought it was a dead cherry, but it still had one live branch I didn't see :( 3/4 of the tree were SUPER dead but its still sad. As it starts to dry it is getting more orange but not as dark as I have seen cherry be. Help plz.

Attachments

• IMG_1638.JPG
    IMG_1638.JPG
    316.9 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_1640.JPG
    IMG_1640.JPG
    307.6 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_1642.JPG
    IMG_1642.JPG
    154.1 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_1648.JPG
    IMG_1648.JPG
    204.8 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_1651.JPG
    IMG_1651.JPG
    362 KB · Views: 131
Looks like cherry from here too. I like the description-- fresh!

Reactions: ScotO and Reckless
Just looks like Cherry to me...what makes you think that it isn't Cherry?
I thread jacked another WOOD ID and someone told me it wasn't cherry... I thought it was. Thanks and I will now stop second guessing myself.

Black cherry heartwood is pink/salmon colored.....pin cherry can have a very light pink, but I've also see larger branches (6-8") on black cherry that had NO pink in them at all......

Reactions: Reckless
Pin cherry bark is unbroken. Smooth and dark mahogany colored. Fruit is bright red and usually only 2.
Chokecherry only gets about 30' black cherry trees can go 60' to 100'
choke cherry leaves are slightly wider than black cherry and the berries are lighter.
Your tree is not pin cherry. Could be Choke could be black.

Reactions: Reckless
Black cherry heartwood is pink/salmon colored.....pin cherry can have a very light pink, but I've also see larger branches (6-8") on black cherry that had NO pink in them at all......

I meant between pin and choke..... I have see black and when dry it is a deep orange.

It's cherry bark for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.