Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bushfire

Burning Hunk
Nov 19, 2005
Kennett Square, PA
Asplundh were at it again in my neighborhood this week so I grabbed myself two more truck loads of walnut, hickory, and something I'm unsure of. Does anybody know what I have here? About the same weight as the walnut, as best as I could tell.

IMG_9601.JPG IMG_9600.JPG IMG_9599.JPG IMG_9595.JPG IMG_9596.JPG

The dot in the center says ash to me....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I guess I can put that in the 2017/18 stacks then? The bark didn't have as prominent a diamond shape as I would have expected with Ash, so I had thought maybe something else, but having just looked online, that pattern is more distinct on older trees, and this is not that old.

Thanks!

That doesn't look like Ash to me, at least not White ASh. I have never seen White Ash with a dark center.

It's not white or green ash. Could be one of the other two ash varieties, but with the bark and dark center it may be cottonwood.

Looks a bit like the sassafras we get around here.

Actually after further study, are those pics all from the same round/tree? The splits look very much like hickory, the standing round like ash and the laying rounds like cottonwood. If they are, maybe I'm stumped (pardon the pun).

With VERY little experience, I'm calling the rounds not ash at least. The bark pattern is similar
but much deeper than the stuff I get from multiple-aged ash trees. The grooves in the pics appear
to make a much thicker bio shell around the centerwood.

CheapMark

i agree with those that said ash. i have seen plenty of ash with darker heartwood in my area, cut almost 6 cord this year. the large open grain on the splits and cleanliness of the split also points to ash.

in the end its free hardwood firewood, split it stack it and test it next year.

Actually after further study, are those pics all from the same round/tree? The splits look very much like hickory, the standing round like ash and the laying rounds like cottonwood. If they are, maybe I'm stumped (pardon the pun).

Looking more closely, you might be right. Here's a bark, split, and top shot from one round.

Attachments

• IMG_9604.JPG
    IMG_9604.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_9603.JPG
    IMG_9603.JPG
    171.2 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_9602.JPG
    IMG_9602.JPG
    186.5 KB · Views: 131
I still say ash, that dark center is some sort of staining....not dark heartwood.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tom123
On my property I have some (live believe it or not) ash and basswood. From the bark alone I have a hard time telling them apart.

On my property I have some (live believe it or not) ash and basswood. From the bark alone I have a hard time telling them apart.
It's not basswood - I got some of that earlier in the year and this is way heavier than that.

The wife gave me a tip Aslpundh would be busy up here from a softball teammate!
Brought two loads home yesterday. Most of my bark looks like the pics again, just not so
deeply ridged. Many are about 1 ft diameter, bark falling off the recently standing deads.
The look is the same as the pics overall but we must have a different dominant subspecies
here two states west of you? Our ash bio-layer (bark) seems much thinner at under 1/2".

not dark heartwood
You are right, but just like some maples Cottonwood tends to stain the heartwood. Occasionally they don't. I'm gonna have to stick with cottonwood. I looked up the other two types of ash bark and they don't match. The way those chunks of bark interlock together, kinda like a Tetris piece and the side profile just don't match ash for me. Those growth rings are also pretty far apart as well. I have cut tons of ash that is slightly stained ,but never that dark or brown, usually greenish to pinkish.

looks like an old piece of ash to me.

The bark is barking "ASH"

There are 10+ types of ash.

looks extremely similar to hickory
So I did some research on hearth and found dozens of old threads on ash vs. hickory. One case was cracked by something I didn't even think about....... EAB. If you remove the bark and find larvae tracks, then ash it is. If not, bark sure looks close to some of the mockernut pics I saw.

So I did some research on hearth and found dozens of old threads on ash vs. hickory. One case was cracked by something I didn't even think about....... EAB. If you remove the bark and find larvae tracks, then ash it is. If not, bark sure looks close to some of the mockernut pics I saw.

Good idea. I'll take a look when I get a chance.

i ain't never seen hickory split that easy/clean. even a straight forest grown pecker pole is stringy and fights the split.

Status
Not open for further replies.