WOOD ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rutnstrut

Hearth Supporter
I have an outside wood boiler which allow's me to utilize any type of wood as fuel. I recently had a decent size tree die in the yard so I decided to cut it down to split. Cutting it down was easy as my Stihl had not an issue. The wood cut easy and smooth. Today I moved the cut sections to the my 27 ton splitter to process into firewood. My splitter did not like the wood as it was extremely hard to split. The wood had a lot of fibers that were intertwined and would not split straight. What type of wood is it ? ..

Attachments

• IMG_0762.JPG
    IMG_0762.JPG
    30.3 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0763.JPG
    IMG_0763.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_0764.JPG
    IMG_0764.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_0765.JPG
    IMG_0765.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 143
American Elm the reason I bought a splitter !

Reactions: D8Chumley
Reactions: D8Chumley
Elm.

Great firewood, a witch to split ;)

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
It does split easier the dryer and colder it is. Cut a live one down this summer and just split yesterday when it was 20°. Not easy, but far better. Only took 5-7 wacks with the fiskars to crack em open. First 5-7 normally just bounce off. I've split dead and dry ones with hardly more effort than ash.

Reactions: hickoryhoarder