Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JSeery

Feeling the Heat
Feb 12, 2015
Irvington, NY
IMG_0890.JPG
IMG_0891.JPG
Neighbor had this load delivered from tree service. I can ID the black birch but anyone have any thoughts on the other species in here? Thanks

Elm

The dark chocolate sapwood looks a little like sweet gum. Also not fun to split. I can't imagine splitting something over 12" diameter. If that's the case you might want to saw them in thirds or quarters before trying to split...

Definitely pick out all of the black birch first!

No Elm around here but lots of sweet gum. Doesn't look like gum to me. If it is gum you need the cow catcher on a freight train to split rounds that big.

The dark chocolate sapwood looks a little like sweet gum. Also not fun to split. I can't imagine splitting something over 12" diameter. If that's the case you might want to saw them in thirds or quarters before trying to split...

Definitely pick out all of the black birch first!
Yeah, I'm gonna let him use my hydraulic splitter in exchange for the black birch (hopefully). Will see. I feel bad taking the best stuff but he burns in an open fireplace so it's not like it should matter to him. He was convinced the elm was oak, so it's not like he can really tell the difference anyway.

I do think nrford is right that this is Elm. I split one smaller round with a maul. It did split, but wasn't easy. I have a feeling sweet gum wouldn't have split at all with the amount of effort I put in. Elm is much more common around here than gum.

I've got something just like it right over the Tappan Zee! Just saw that you are in Irvington. I couldn't tell if mine was Elm or sweet gum but it seems to match more with gum signs. There were a few nearby sweet gum leaves mixed in with ash and maple.

The rounds under 6" seemed to mostly split with one or two strikes but over 8" and they would take 15 hits and some mix of wedge and maul to get them split. The wedge could made it about 2/3 through without splitting.

Attachments

• 20170408_120730.jpg
    20170408_120730.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 103
  • 20170402_181832.jpg
    20170402_181832.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 122
I've got something just like it right over the Tappan Zee! Just saw that you are in Irvington. I couldn't tell if mine was Elm or sweet gum but it seems to match more with gum signs. There were a few nearby sweet gum leaves mixed in with ash and maple.

The rounds under 6" seemed to mostly split with one or two strikes but over 8" and they would take 15 hits and some mix of wedge and maul to get them split. The wedge could made it about 2/3 through without splitting.
Hey neighbor. Looks like a lot of work either way. Hope the juice is worth the squeeze for you :)