Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dpregs

Nov 20, 2007
Southeastern CT
Buddy had a few trees taken down and let me take all I want. I still need to go back for another load or two. I know the second tree is a silver maple, not sure what this is. In the pic with the leaves, I believe those are the leaves from the tree. Any help is appreciated.

65b7e17dd31b09ef028ffe544c7fe617.jpg0570c450996c5a2306ad67455cbd2d56.jpg5da2624d79d9813a270e746f22ca4ce3.jpg492bebe482600a50305cd06033c08165.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lone_Gun
I think it is basswood based on the size, shape of the leaves and bark , but I'm confused as far as the branching on that picture. It is opposite branching which can't be basswood and would be ash. If it is basswood it's okay for the shoulder season, it is a low btu hardwood.

It's ash.
The sample leaf is compound. Check branching habit. It should be opposite.
Tilia has simple leaf, and an alternate branch habit.

Question, should I focus on the maple for next two loads?

Are you planning on using this for this Winter coming up or next year? Silver Maple and Ash which I'm assuming it is based on my pinhole theory, although I can see Basswood also but I stray off course ha ha, both dry quickly, Ash has less water in it when green but Silver dries fast and burns lively and clean, Ash burns a bit steadier and slower. I would grab it all if you could, if not mix it up for kicks and giggles!

If it is ready, I will burn this winter, if not...I can wait. I will plan to take as much as I can get out of there!
Get it and get it split, stack it with some circulation (not too tight) in the wind and sun and you might be okay for this year, depends on what kind of Summer we have! They both dry quickly but it looks like they are still pretty wet....

Are there ash borers in your area yet? If so an ash tree that size should have been infested by now, they are all but standing dead here in my area - for some reason though they don't seem to bother the less than 12" diameter trees.....some hope with that I suppose.

There are definitely ash borer in our area, which was part of my confusion. BUT, that was solved when I went back yesterday for another load. The wood from the top of the tree had holes all in it and a dead beetle as well.