Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

spudman99

Feeling the Heat
Jan 26, 2018
Yardley, PA
So I try to research old threads to see if this wood was previously identified. Was not successful although I am sure it has, I just didn't find it. I am trying to learn wood types so please don't think I am lazy posting, I am just too new at this.

20190326_085442_resized.jpg 20190326_085447_resized.jpg 20190326_085608_resized.jpg 20190326_085619_resized.jpg

My thought is poplar based on the yellow sapwood. Tree is about 60' high in a suburban location. Thanks in advance.

Length of buds:

About 1/8" long = pin/fire cherry (Prunus pensylvanica)
Up to 1/4" long = bird cherry (Prunus avium)

I"m leaning toward bird cherry.

I was going to simply say an ornamental cherry of some sort but these guys might be able to pinpoint it.

I was going to simply say an ornamental cherry of some sort but these guys might be able to pinpoint it.

You may have a better eye than you realize. For the ornamental cherry trees commonly seen in our landscaping, the rootstock/trunk for many of them actually is bird cherry (the pretty flowering top is grafted onto it).

Reactions: Eureka
That’s interesting! I come across some weird stuff in the loads I buy from a tree guy and have gotten some trunks that look a lot like these pictures.

I have the same kind of cherry in my yard, also about 60 ft tall. Pretty decent firewood but that bark is very good at keeping moisture in. The heartwood will be dry in a year, and whats under the bark will be wet.

It does look like pin cherry but could be a sub species, I have tons of pin cherry in my yard, low on btu but seasons quick.

Always post your tree ID questions. We like doing ID. And learn a lot. I've never seen that tree cut open before. It looks like a type of cherry. Or possibly a type of magnolia.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Pin cherry is very light. Like white pine or maybe even a little less dense.