Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

HisTreeNut

Minister of Fire
Nov 3, 2014
Burnsville, NC
Cleaning up scrounges. Found this...not much bark and no leaves to help identify. Faint smell like stain for leather. Any ideas...???
At the very least, free btu's.
fb78920eb102a05c8ac9eab9118b92bb.jpg

Last edited:
Smaller rounds almost look like cherry

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
Cherry to the right. The middle big piece looks like ironwood / hop hornbeam!

Thanks...appreciate it. Been busy cleaning up scrounges. Haven't had much time to post lately. Thank you again.

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

Could be locust, over there in Burnsville. Did this tree die standing?

I am not sure. I believe it was in a load a friend brought it to me with stuff trimmed from his property. It was a mix of several soft and hard woods...and some sort of gum tree I think.
Thanks again for the response.

Last edited:
Well, I am about 20 miles from you, straight line, and I have got locust all over the place. All dead. A big one fell across the driveway yesterday I had to whack it to be able to get to town. That one is unusual because no rot, about 14 inch diameter it will make good firewood.

Do you have black walnut over there? Are they dying like mine are?

I have some black walnut that I have taken down, but none seem to be dying. The squirrels are trying their best to repopulate them in my yard.

Yes the squirrels have fun with the nuts.
My place is on top of a mountain. It was a farm and my home site used to be a big corn field. Got abandoned about 1948 as all the local boys went to work "on the line" in Detroit.

So how did I get a hundred black walnut trees growing all over this mountain top? The only way is, squirrels black walnuts up in to the corn field, and buried them.
I have cut down quite a few and the tree rings all show they started in 1950, 1952 or so.

I have walnut seedlings all over the place...just like weeds. That being said, this year I will see how the black walnut burns.
You have locust all over the place???
I heard that locust is pretty lousy wood to burn. I think you should should avoid it at all cost. I will stop by and take it all off your hands...
;) ;) ;) ;)

Reactions: TreePointer
I think you will like black walnut. It is not as good as hickory, but it is better than pine. Easy to split.
Of course the wood is beautiful to look at.

Good news/bad news on the locust. The good news is I have 80 dead standing locust trees. The bad news, I saved them for an emergency firewood source. But the problem is they have begun to rot. My brother and I cut 3 truck loads of dead standing locust last year, and half of that wood was rotten. Even if it is locust I don't mess with rotten wood.

So, locust is the last wood to rot, but after standing dead for 18 years, it will rot.

It must of had the bark still on it to start rotting already for Locust. They can be in the ground for 50 years as fence post before they rot away.

Yeah, I know. When I moved up here 23 years ago, I had locust fence posts in the ground still standing after 50 years.
That is why I was astonished to see locust trees, dead standing for 18 years, that were 50 percent rotten.

I was up at the local compost site today and pulled in and saw 3 pieces of this wood and right away thought "that's Eastern Redbud like I cut at my in-laws 6 years ago" and the inside of it was cracked open and it was yellow inside with white trim on the outer edges just like in your picture, I would bet good money that is what it is.