Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

shortys7777

Minister of Fire
Nov 15, 2017
Smithfield, RI
Took down a dead standing tree today. Most of the bark was off or barely hanging on. Some type of cherry?
20200118_161428.jpg20200118_161015.jpg

The bark looks like black cherry. The wood doesn't.

Looks like Cherry to me as well but the wood is lighter colored than normal. Maybe it got wet and changed color to a degree? I see some rot? Not sure.

Not cherry, Ill look around and see what I come up with.

Cherry, with rot

Reactions: tadmaz
Cherry, no questions...

Reactions: mark cline
Thought so. I think the rot kept clogging my saw. I had to blow out a lot of fine powder a couple times it wasn't cutting good.

Black Cherry, 100%. Show us a split, and take a whiff. It will have that lighter color if it's already fairly dry. Test it, you might be able to burn it tomorrow. If so, you're in for a treat when you fire up a split, then go outside and smell that heavenly fragrance. Your neighbors will be sending you thank you notes. ==c

Last edited: