Wood id.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
Southern CT.

IMG_2759.jpeg

IMG_2760.jpeg

IMG_2761.jpeg

IMG_2762.jpeg

More pics

image.jpg

image.jpg

It looks llike it, inside it looks like soft wood, alright it dusted a lot, I was wondering if I need to sharpen my chain that was sharpen one tank away

I agree, a birch species.

Is there a soft wood birch species ? It seems like a softwood . Considering throwing away . Cut it because it was close to the house.

From firewood-for-life.com:

The yellow birch, or swamp birch, is identified by its silver-yellow smooth bark.

As it ages the bark starts to curl back giving it a unique appearance.

The yellow birch is a hard, strong, dense wood used in making furniture.

The density of the wood makes it an excellent firewood choice.

Another identifier of the yellow birch is the wintergreen aroma emitted when it's burning.

Yeah chain is dull. Look at the dust on the ground. That dust should be chips. And cut your notches not as deep. 1/3 deep is the general rule. Then the back cut should be parallel to the ground (Assuming it's flat not a hill), in other words don't cut it on an angle.

There are very good tree felling videos on youtube.

Stay safe, I know a guy that got paralyzed in CT. when he was cutting trees for firewood.

Last edited:
Reactions: stoveliker
Great firewood when it grows up but looking at the growth rings, its in a race with all the other young trees trying to get tall and shade out the other trees.

Ideally this would be the time to do a hard trimming taking out the junk varieties, and selecting the best specimens. Shoot for removing 2/3rd of the trees. GIve it couple of year and the remaining trees will be healthier and the woods more open. Wait ten years and repeat.

Yeah chain is dull. Look at the dust on the ground. That dust should be chips. And cut your notches not as deep. 1/3 deep is the general rule. Then the back cut should be parallel to the ground (Assuming it's flat not a hill), in other words don't cut it on an angle.

There are very good tree felling videos on youtube.

Stay safe, I know a guy that got paralyzed in CT. when he was cutting trees for firewood.
Yeah, went too much with notch. But the cuts are in a right level. I even used the level tool to make sure it is. The tree was on a slop and leaning toward the house, so had to drop it to the side pulling with a hoist.

IMG_2762.jpeg

IMG_2764.jpeg

Reactions: bigealta
I'd go with a birch just from the bark.
Your saw isn't sharp at all. Always look for chips, no chips stop cutting, shouldn't see sawdust. Cut it up, dry it and burn it. Once the saw and labor is involved it's firewood and it's all good.

+1 for yellow birch(Betula alleghaniensis)

Both black birch (Betula lenta) and yellow birch have twigs with a wintergreen smell when broken (scratch the twig with fingernail); however, trunk bark of yellow birch will have exfoliating bark - peeling horizontally in thin, curly, papery strips. See OP post#1 - pictures 3 & 4.