Wood ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diabel

Minister of Fire
Jan 11, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Can anybody help identifying this wood. It has very small leaves (bright yellow in the fall). It is very hard & heavy!
Thanks D

Attachments

• wood 2b.jpg
    wood 2b.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 575
Seriously,

The tree reminds me of acacia tree...its leaves & seeds but black cherry!!
When I was cutting it I could see tinny sparks (few) from the chain (or was it my imagination). Anyways, it is definitely hardwood, it is harder to cut than hard maple or beech maybe at par with ironwood.

I found some leaves

Attachments

• wood 3a.jpg
    wood 3a.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 496
fespo said:
It is Honey Locust.

Yeah, I think you're right. I just goggled it & saw few pictures ....but this one does not have thorns.

From the picture of the wood, it looks a lot like black cherry, but the leaves look more like locust. We have lots of Black Locust around here, and its bark is very thick and woody. If the bark of honey locust is the same as black locust, then what you have is probably not locust. Although, those rounds don't look too big, so thats probably branch wood. Maybe not mature enough to develop that thick bark i'm talking about. Check out this site. It's the best one I've found for identifcation. http://www.cas.vanderbilt.edu/bioimages/frame.htm

The bark pattern looks like locust to me. I wouldn't burn that stuff! Put it out by the curb and we will take care of that nasty wood for you. ;-)

Seriously that is good stuff!!! I just finished cutting up a bit more then a cord and a half, from the local tree dump. 38-40" across the round. My Husky 350 got a work out! The rounds had to weigh a couple hundred pounds each. I have been told that when it's good and seasoned, it will burn long and very hot, not unlike coal. I don't know how reliable that is. I haven't burned any yet, and I have never burned coal, but this stuff is dense.

jeffman3 said:
The bark pattern looks like locust to me. I wouldn't burn that stuff! Put it out by the curb and we will take care of that nasty wood for you. ;-)

Seriously that is good stuff!!! I just finished cutting up a bit more then a cord and a half, from the local tree dump. 38-40" across the round. My Husky 350 got a work out! The rounds had to weigh a couple hundred pounds each. I have been told that when it's good and seasoned, it will burn long and very hot, not unlike coal. I don't know how reliable that is. I haven't burned any yet, and I have never burned coal, but this stuff is dense.

This was just one branch. Now I now why my saw was choking on few occasions & I kid you not I saw few tinny sparks while cutting around the bark side.

Thanks guys, with this identity I will split it on Monday & put it away for 2yrs.

btw this came from my friends property..& he has 4 of these trees about 25" at the trunk! He wants them all out :gulp: He does not like the leaves i.e. raking them in the fall!!

woodburn said:
Perfect score! Take it all! If you split it now, it will be ready for next season.

Thanks woodburn,

This is sitting on my driveway already. I was doing my friend a favor...by trimming the tree. Once I was done, only then he told me that he wants them all out in the spring!

The Black locust trees have bigger leaves then the honey locust trees. If Im not wrong the black locust the thorns.fespo

Status
Not open for further replies.