Wood Ident.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

caber

Feb 6, 2008
Western Maryland
Wood I picked up for free this summer. It was already cut and stacked, so I have no idea what it is. Any ideas?

Attachments

• DSC02808b.JPG
    DSC02808b.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 768
  • DSC02809.JPG
    DSC02809.JPG
    147.6 KB · Views: 759
At first glance, the bark looks like the persimmon trees that grow down here. But, I don't even know if persimmon trees grow that far north.

maple

Did you just split the pieces in the photo? The amber yellow core wood reminds me of my Locust I scored earlier this past summer. But if it has been split for a while now, the core wood would be turning a dark, rusty red, if this were Locust like mine. OTOH if this is fresh split, it looks a lot like my Locust. Bark pattern also matches. Looks real straight grained. If you just split this, did it split real easy?

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/21191/
(see post #8 for photos)

No way to tell from a split and some bark. Get some leaves or better yet a small branch with leaves. If guessing it could be oak, persimmon, Osage, locust, ect. ect. ect.

no leaves or location. It was already cut and stacked when I got it. I picked it up back in July. That piece was split a few days ago. It split fairly easily. The older splits are a more golden color in the middle. Pretty certain it is not maple.

After looking at pics online, I have to agree its either locust or osage. Leaning towards Osage. I shall set it aside in the high-end rack.

thanks

The color and bark kind of looks like mulberry from around my area. It seems though mulberry has a slightly flatter bark.

I just walked outside and looked at some Honey Locust and I'm willing to bet that is what you have. Did you see any branches? There would be some big eye gouging Jesus thorns on any smaller branches if it truly is Honey locust.

Sure looks like White Oak that I cut here in Pennsylvania. It grows very well in our area of the north. You can identify it by the bark but more so by the brown band of wood just under the bark and the amber color of the center and heart wood, also the small square blocks of lighter wood between each grain lines. Notice the small round blue/gray fungus on the bark this is typical of oak and maple in our area.

LEES WOOD-CO said:
I believe it is a locust but not black. Lets see what the honey locust guys say.

That looks just like what I just put in my stove! Honey locust.

...and FWIW, there are supposedly some ornamental varieties of Honey Locust without thorns, so I hear. That may be what I harvested myself, earlier this summer. Never did get a totally positive ID on mine, but it came from a grove of Locust. My one big tree got pushed over by a 'dozer. No leaves left to see.

If the core wood starts to turn that rusty red color after a few months, that would be strongly pointing to Locust, I believe. I don't think the others turn so dramatically (?) as they season.

pretty sure it's mulberry with a slight chance it could be osage. the honey locust has a very thin and flaky bark.

honey locust
HoneylocustBark.jpg

mulberry

bark.jpg

Thats not hedge apple but i would vote mulberry also

Status
Not open for further replies.