Wood insert clearance Hearth extension

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Cma12

Jul 24, 2022
Indiana
I was thinking about installing a regency i2450 or something similar into an existing fireplace. The current hearth extension is 17.5” from the face of the bricks and is 11” tall off of the floor. The manual shows the door sticking out 7”, so my extension would be 5.5” to short. I get a bit confused wether the hearth height has any effect on the hearth extension measurements-requirements.

The living room floor is a concrete slab with carpet on it. Would removing some of the carpet in front of the fireplace and installing ceramic tile on the concrete satisfy the requirements for the remaining hearth extension-thermal protection. Or is there a similar solution? I am not trying to cut any corners on this just wanting to know what kind of project I am going to be getting into before I get started.

Thanks

5DB14E02-3981-4507-879F-ACF5DFB438B0.pngA3A9FAD6-C952-4BA9-858D-CD9B10596A8A.jpeg

Tile is fine. The hearth is high enough to only need ember protection at the floor level. With a concrete floor, the tile would be acceptable for the extension even if the hearth were lower.