Wood Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Barry C

Oct 3, 2022
NYS
I have looked and see no posting related to my question. So please send me off to something or give your thoughts. I want to transition from a pellet insert to a wood insert. I have used a free standing stove (Pacific Energy) for many years and enjoy the quiet from NO fan running. So my question, does an insert in a legit brick fireplace built in the 1930s, need to have a fan running to produce decent heat? If the fan runs overnight and can be turned off at will, that would be fine.
It has a damper opening that is 30" long and 4" deep/wide.
Thanks,
Barry

I have looked and see no posting related to my question. So please send me off to something or give your thoughts. I want to transition from a pellet insert to a wood insert. I have used a free standing stove (Pacific Energy) for many years and enjoy the quiet from NO fan running. So my question, does an insert in a legit brick fireplace built in the 1930s, need to have a fan running to produce decent heat? If the fan runs overnight and can be turned off at will, that would be fine.
It has a damper opening that is 30" long and 4" deep/wide.
Thanks,
Barry
Yes you will need a fan to get the most heat from any insert but they will still put out heat without one. And yes they can be turned off at will

And the damper area will need to be opened up in order for the 6" liner to fit through

There are fans with temperature dependent switches. So it could switch off when the insert cools down.

Reactions: Barry C
The more an insert sticks out into the room, the more heat will transfer without a fan on.

And the damper area will need to be opened up in order for the 6" liner to fit through
I would be reluctant to start breaking out the damper space beyond what it is. Are there adapters that would fit that are wider and narrower that would then transition back into the 6" round? Maybe ovalize the round liner to get through the space?
I will not (can not) be doing the install due to insurance requirements.

Reactions: EatenByLimestone
You'll need to run the fan at all times with a flush insert.

So is a Lopi Bay a flush, or half flushed?
What is a Lopi Bay? Their Answer and Evergreen inserts project slightly. All the rest are flush now.

What is a Lopi Bay? Their Answer and Evergreen inserts project slightly. All the rest are flush now.
This stove may be discontinued, but used ones are around.

This stove may be discontinued, but used ones are around.
It's no longer sold so the used market is the only choice. The Freedom was a decent mid-sized insert in bay or straight configuration. It had enough projection on the hearth to work decently with the blower off. FWIW, I am not a big fan of bay units. More glass to clean and often the side windows get carboned up. The Freedom came with a regular front too. though the back narrowed so it had a bit less capacity. Both were primarily E/W heaters.