Wood is seasoned but will not burn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutter

Feb 20, 2009
Tecumseh Kansas
Here are a couple pieces of wood that have been seasoning for about 75 million years and no way can I get them to burn. They are petrified wood from the Western Sahara in Egypt. My brother brought them over for me last year. We both think that the one looks just like a piece of old Hedge fence post. Brother thought that I would put them in the saw and make slabs. I thought they just looked too cool as is. I did cut the bottom flat and polished it.

petwood001.jpg

petwood007.jpg

petwood004.jpg

petwood010.jpg

You need a hotter bed of coals to burn it! I'm not quite that far ahead with my woodpile, but I think Backwoods Savage is.

Seriously though, that's really neat. I saw a piece of petrified wood once from out west somewhere. Arizona maybe.

quads said:
You need a hotter bed of coals to burn it! I'm not quite that far ahead with my woodpile, but I think Backwoods Savage is.

Seriously though, that's really neat. I saw a piece of petrified wood once from out west somewhere. Arizona maybe.

We're not there yet quads, but we're working on that little problem.

We also were in Arizona to the Petrified forest. Really neat.

75 million is too much. 50 million would have been perfect for seasoning. The last 25 million years makes it useless for heating. If you would have covered it and kept it off the ground, maybe it would have been preserved.

The second pic looks like a stone I stole from the Grand Canyon.

One word which solves most burning problems.

Gas.

As an ex-paleo guy we used to get tons of this stuff in Montana. Newbies were always thinking shards of it were dino-bone fragments. It is neat stuff in larger pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.