wood or pellet stoves that can be mounted in a wall?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

John Ackerly

Burning Hunk
Hi guys,
My cousin is building a tiny house and wants to mount a small wood or pellet stove in the wall, or at least up on a shelf with absolute minimum clearances. I've seen lots of photos of European stoves that are mounted in walls but not sure if any are EPA certified and distributed in the U.S. I'm not interested in the US Stove pellet window unit, but something like that and doesn't break down or burn the house down is preferable.
thanks!
John

Would the litte, but expensive Kimberly stove or a Dickinson marine stove work?

Reactions: SpaceBus
Thanks but neither of those stoves are EPA certified, which is a pretty big problem for installs in a home. Boat installs don't require EPA certification because they are not "residential" but tiny homes are. If a tiny house is on wheels, does that mean its technically a trailer or something, and not a residence? My relative is trying to do everything by the book, for the local inspector and the insurance company and not sure if these stoves would cause him problems.

The Gnome is the smallest pellet stove, but its not that small. I suspect there will be a growing market for smaller pellet stoves and stoves that can be installed in a wall.

John

Thanks but neither of those stoves are EPA certified, which is a pretty big problem for installs in a home. Boat installs don't require EPA certification because they are not "residential" but tiny homes are. If a tiny house is on wheels, does that mean its technically a trailer or something, and not a residence? My relative is trying to do everything by the book, for the local inspector and the insurance company and not sure if these stoves would cause him problems.

The Gnome is the smallest pellet stove, but its not that small. I suspect there will be a growing market for smaller pellet stoves and stoves that can be installed in a wall.

John
My understanding at least here is that tiny homes fall under the same regs as mobile homes. So yes all residential codes apply plus a few extra depending upon local rules. Some areas classify them as RV s and I don't know the regulations for them.

John
I think in our county that if it does not have a bathroom and is mobile, it is not a residence. I also think many tiny homeowners do not report them to the county and don't have them insured.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpaceBus