Wood Pellets -- How many tons do you purchase per season ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wood Pellets -- How many tons do you purchase per season ?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CladMaster

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2012
Maine
Thought I'd throw this out there ...

Last season (2012/13) I got through 4 tons.

This season (2013/14) I got 6 tons, and I've used 2.5 tons of that since the last week of October 2013.

I only go through about 1 3/4 -2 tons per year but that's because I also have a wood stove.

Got 6.3T this season. My guess is I'll burn 6 with this stove.

Bought 3 tons in October. 1.5 tons gone. Bought another ton yesterday.

I started wit 4 ton, Hope it's enough, may consider number 5 soon. Just in case.

This is my first year with pellets, so far I have gone through 3 tons. I purchase a ton at time as I need them. If I don't use any wood I think I will burn 6 maybe 6 1/2 tons this year. Even for northern MN it has been unusually cold this year. It was -35* F when I left for work this morning. The lows have been -20 to -35 below for the last week or so. Not sure what the high was yesterday but on Tuesday it only reached a -17* F. Usually don't get those temps until later in January/February.

Progress on the addition were the wood stove is going has been slow. Long hours at work only allow me to work on it on weekends and holidays. That being said should finish painting this coming weekend. I will then need to finish up the electric. Son-in-law should be here on the 25th to help me install the wood stove. I know this is the pellet forum. but I really do miss my wood heat. Wood furnace was disconnected during remodel and was not reconnected as l thought the wood stove would be up and running long ago.

Currently heating 1600 square foot slab house, going through 2 bags a day (sometimes just a little more). House is fairly tight, new windows and doors installed this summer. Could use some more insulation in attic.

Bought 4 for this season. Burned 4.5 last year. Probably gonna be close to 5 this year

Started out with 5 tons as a guess from what i read people on here use. Now that i have a few months tracked, i picked up another ton that will get me to early spring.

First season, bought 3.5 tons, burnt 1.5 tons already. I'm trying to replace 360 gallons of oil used last year, so I figured I'd need at least 3 tons, but I'm running the house warmer, since the pellets are cheaper, so I guess I need more!

First year I bought about 2.5 tons, Had about 1/4 left over
Second year four tons, had about a ton left over
This year I bought three tons and expect to finish the heating season with just about all four tons used.

First year I bought about 2.5 tons, Had about 1/4 left over
Second year four tons, had about a ton left over
This year I bought three tons and expect to finish the heating season with just about all four tons used.
we would spend 1500.00 yr for oil and that was keeping the thermostat at 66... 90 yr old not well insulated house..
getting 2 tons of Stove Chows at 229.00 ton. total of 3 tons for November to end of March and temps in the House 73...
luvin my Harman P61A.. Shoulda bought 1 yrs ago..

Reactions: Jacques909
:eek: _g You heating the street too ? The neighbors must love you !

I'm heating three buildings with two Pellergy conversion kits. I have a duplex and my house with an apartment over an attached garage.

I'm heating three buildings with two Pellergy conversion kits. I have a duplex and my house with an apartment over an attached garage.
Bulk or bags? what are your strategies for pellet buying?

I burned six tons last season. Two stoves 24/7 . First floor at 74-75, second floor 68-69 . Could be seven this season. Happy new year to everyone.

Bulk or bags? what are your strategies for pellet buying?

Both, actually. At my duplex I have bulk delivery because it's more convenient, but at my house I buy bagged pellets and blow them into my bin with a leaf blower. I save about $40 per ton over bulk delivery.

I can do a ton an hour by myself but if I get someone to help me I can do 2.5 tons per hour.

I burned 4.5 tons last year.... I've burned a little over 2 tons since September 2013.. I'm keeping the house a bit warmer at 75 with a 9 month old about to crawl around the house.

That's what I'm finding...paying more for bulk delivery??? WTF?? I wonder why
Convenience. I can buy fuel oil at my local gas stations cheaper than I can have it delivered.

Hopefully, there will be more competition in the future and the delivery fee will drop.

I've burned 2 tons and have 3 left. I bet I'll need 20 more bags to get me through.

Status
Not open for further replies.