Wood Pellets in Central Maine?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Where bout's in central Maine are ya ?

Hi, Mainers! I'm in Bangor. Do we have anyone from Bangor here in the forum? I burned Corinth Pellets -- several tons of them -- this past winter. My last ton I got from Dysart's. They delivered a one-ton tote for $219/ton. They have a little three-wheeled forklift type thing and will set them down right inside your garage. I don't know how far they will deliver for that price though. You can pick them up for $219/ton in the bags, I think. Blue Seal Feeds and Needs delivers up here, and so does EBS in Bucksport or Ellsworth. They charge a little more but don't have a separate delivery charge.

Good to see some other people from Maine here. It's great we're getting even more pellet mills on line this year.

Moe

I love the food at the Brunswick Diner!
Just had to jump in and say that.
We always used to stop there
on the way up and back from my
Uncles house in Damariscotta.

Staying on topic, if you have any Farm/Tractor supply
places around check them. Some of them sell wood pellets.
Hope you find some at a good price. :)

hi moe,pook, tyru, and muss,
i am mike in hartland maine. i have burned the cubex from st. albans stove shop since i started with the pellet scene. just wanted to know if the corinth pellets are hardwood or soft? have they straightened out the issues they had with their mill?
a friend of mine bought a ton this winter and they burned fine, the next ton was complete garbage....he took them back to the place where he bought them and showed them what he had and they refunded his money. thought i would ask before i shell out alot of money , and have problems later on.

btw, do they say corinth pellets, or central maine pellets?

thanx,
mike

Hi, Mike,

As far as I know, the early problems have been straightened out. I burned several tons and had no problem. One of my auger motors had to be replaced in a three-year-old Harman Accentra. I'm still not sure why or if it was related in any way.

Corinth Pellets are softwood.

Let's hope these new mills coming on line will bring down the price we Mainers are paying for our pellets. I wish one of these pelletsales.com places would deliver this far north, but so far, everyone seems to say Bangor is not in the "delivery area." I'm considering getting a coal stove to burn anthracite for the increased BTUs/dollar. I'd rather burn pellets, but whatever I can do to keep the costs of heating this 1833 cape down I will consider seriously.

Take care.
Moe

We actually have quite of few pellet owners in Maine on this site but for the most part they seem to have tapered off because of the heating season quieting down some . I "ran" into people on here from Porter to Sanford plus you Mike from Hartland & an other fella from Waterville . Like i had posted a month or so ago, Pellet Sales would deliver at a drop off point even as far up as Bangor & give a decent price ,that was not posted on their regular website, if there was enough ordered . They have an excellent reputation & were quite nice & willing to work something out , again, if there were enough ordered in 1 load . I had suggested on this site that we could possibly have it dropped off along the 95 corridor or someone's land & we could pick them up with ample time to make several trips to our homes but no one seemed interested . Be it that it may, even though we have 2 pellet mills opening up, one has its supply sold ahead for the next 5 years & the other is also leaning towards industrial sales. That said, price of pellets should not be going down anytime soon but with some effort, we could individually order about 6 tons apiece with enough folks to have a trailer full delivered from them . Food for thought ! Muss

Sounds good to me. The only problem I have is I don't have a truck. So I volunteer my place as a drop-off. I'll be needing eight tons myself. Do they have a forklift to place them on the ground once they arrive?

Moe

Let me chime in from Farmington. I have talked to the guy thats putting in the pellet mill in Strong. He plans on getting going by fall.

He does not have his pellets sold to some chain store like some people have been saying and he will be selling by the bag or bulk. Have not gotten any prices out of him yet.

By the way, I'm still running my pellet boiler and have not shut it down yet. I was just heating hot water in my apartment house until this cold weather. It uses about a bag a day when it's hot out to heat water and maybe a little heat at night for four one bedroom units.

I know that the unit does not run as effeciently like this but I hate changing back over to oil. So long as I spend the same amount as I would on oil I'll stick with pellets. Oil is a dirty word in more ways than one.

That's good news, Rich. Thanks for letting us know about the Strong pellet plant. It's too bad we couldn't get an online map here and put pushpin pictures in for where we're all located. Now is we just had a pellet repair guy in every locale. Why not switch to another kind of hot water during the warm months? I think that's what some coal people do when they have the coil in their stoves to heat water during the cold months.

Moe

rich,
keep us posted on the strong plant.

dan,
see if you can find if corinth pellets will sell direct to local home buyers.

and muss,
i havent forgotten your posts on bulk shipment...just tight on funds and have to do my stock pile for next year a little at a time as it can be afforded. if it could be done now, i would jump with you in a heartbeat.

heres a laugh for all of you,...sunday i had to go buy a few bags as i ran out , and the only place open locally was aubuchon in newport. the salesman asked if i wanted energex or corinth, so i asked if he had them in hardwood? he said that they only come in soft wood and the btu was way better than hardwood. i said ok and he asked what i have been burning? i told him i was using cubex from st. albans stove shop.

the guy went off on how cubex were lo grade pellets and full of bark content, so they gave an EXTREMELY poor burn, and st. albans stove sells junk pellets, energex are the best you can buy!

i said REALLY! why would a dealer who sells top grade stoves sell inferior pellets?he said so he would get repeat business.i said hmmmmmmmm...he asked which pellets i wanted and i told him i would wait til monday and stop at st. albans stove on my way home. everyone i know around me is burning cubex and loves them, i dont understand why people cut eachother down like that.

then again, this is the only type i have experienced,because of the feedback from friends and neighbors...i always thought HARDWOOD was a better burning wood than SOFTWOOD( hotter and longer lasting)but as i said, they are the only ones i have used thus far. if i could get turned on to something a little cheaper with the same results, i could be swayed.

have a great nite and stay warm, weatherman says down in the 20's tonite.

mike

Mike
According to what I read, but not tried yet, 40 lbs. of wood that is the same density will have as much heat wither it is soft or hard. I have also heard that soft wood pellets tend to have less ash. I guess most people think hardwood pellets burn hotter but that’s not the case. I am looking for some soft wood pellets to try out but everyone says they have hardwood pellets I guess because of public perception.

Rich

I just got 3 tons of pellets dropped at my house in Brewer at 2.19 a ton from Granville stone in Holden. They do charge a $25 delivery charge if you get 1 ton or a truck load (12 tons i believe). Not to bad. I could have picked them up, but I probably would have saved about only about 10 bucks after all the trips I would have had to make. They are Corinth pellets as well, but they said they are going fast and they were not to sure where the next supply was coming from.

Jason

Hi, Jason,

That's a good price delivered. Were the pellets in bags or in the one-ton tote?

Moe

Hum, above on buying pellets: "..not sure where the next supply is coming from." This is consistent with a thread earlier lamenting (or warning) that China is buying up all sorts of wood products, including pellets. I don't have any data on this, but it is an input I have taken along with the economy of burning pellets verses hardwood (and mixed softwoods) as I shop for a new fireplace insert. At $219 a ton, what 18 Million BTUs?, the price is higher than delivered hardwood here in NJ, now about $175 and about 24 Million BTUs. Add to this the fact that I, and many others, can get a few nights worth of firewood off the property, and wood and pellet stoves today give about the same efficiency of about 75%, wood seems to be the safest and most cost effective choice for me.

Sorry, off topic a bit, but the reason I read this is I am (was) considering the trade-offs of different fuels in my search for the best new insert for my application.

Just saw an advertisement in the Morning Sent. Springbrook in Waterville are selling locally made pellets for 219.00 a ton or 199.00 in a bulk bag. They will deliever, wasn't able to verify anything as they are closed today. It looks as if we have many options for pellets in the Waterville area. Cost very as much as $30.00 plus a ton.

Hi Moe,
They are in bags. When i talked with them on Thursday I was told that they didn't have many left. I was told they "cleaned out" Corinth pellet. Not sure if i believe that or not but anyways I called on Thursday and they were in my driveway 2 hours later. Today was fun putting 3 tons in my basement by means of the cellar stairs just in time before it rained. I thought it was supposed to be 65 and sunny today. Oh well..

Jason

Question: Three tons of wood pellets stored inside, is there any problem with that much material attracting rodents or other pests? I'm sure (hope) it comes in clean, no bugs or critters, but it does seem there could be a down side to storage inside. I'm not saying there is, I don't know....but I can "feel" your warmth from thinkng about all that fuel in the basement, you're all ready for next winter.

Jason,

Thanks for the response. I called them after reading your message. They said the $25.00 delivery charge was for up to 10 tons. That's a really good price, I think. I thought it was going to be nice here yesterday, too. I usually say I'm from Bangor because people from away have heard of Bangor oftentimes, but I really live in Brewer, too. So we're neighbors. I've ordered in the past from Blue Seal Feeds and Needs, Dysart's, Bean Enterprises. I really like the fellows at Bean Enterprises. They helped stack the bags in our garage and were really nice guys. Dysart's has the nice little three-wheeled forklift and will set a pallet right down in your garage. But I will get my pellets from whomever has the best price. I go through five tons in the house and three in the office.

What kind of stove do you have? Nice to know there's someone else from Brewer here on the list.

Moe

Jerry,
For me the best place to store my pellets is in my basement, main reason is that it is out of the conditions and its close to the stove. I do have a shed but its at the bottom if my hill and by now means will the old thing hold 6,000 lbs of anything, i'm just glad it keeps my mower dry! If i had a garage without a doubt the pellets would be in there, my back would be much happier today if that was the case.

Moe,
I just purchased an American Harvest 6039 mulit-fuel stove online thanks to the President and stimulus money (putting mine to good use). I am so new to the pellet scene that my stove was delivered on Tuesday and so did the pellets. I just didnt want to run the risk of pellets going through the roof like oil. My stove is still in the crate in my mud room awaiting me to install it. I got a great deal on the stove, i understand that its not the best quality stove but it is sure going to beat paying $400 every 20-30 days for oil.

Jason

Jason,

Congratulations and best wishes for a warmer and less expensive heating season with your new stove. I love mine. Both of ours are keeping us warm on these damp May days. When for one reason or another they're not working or run out of pellets, it's as if someone has died here. My entire family feels the same way. If I am standing in front of the stove, my four-year-old grandson calls me a "stove hog." I think you'll be happy you made the purchase.

Moe

Here, Here! on making good use of the government "stimulation package"....I will consider our $1,200 (I assume) as part of our upgrade to our 20 year old insert...albeit I'll most likely stay with wood for fuel. In any case, the insert I'm focused on is a Washington State company, Quadrafire, and of course the labor, I'm to old and scared of height and steep roofs to install myself, will all be US, and if I buy from my long time chimney service company and Quadrafire dealer, all the labor will be legal US citizens. Now that's putting the stimulation package to good use: most going directly into the US economy, not China's (the pipe and insulation source is unknown to me at this time) and it will reduce my need for central heating, albeit most is from Coal and Nuclear as Jersey Central Power and Light is less than half oil, as I recall. My central heat is a geothermal heat pump - electric. With the high efficiency of this geothermal unit it was competitive with oil at $1.50 a gallon, and while oil has gone from that to over $4, electricity has gone up only (only I say, it is all relative) 50%, far less than has oil. I assume this is due to electric rates be regulated and JCP&L;can't show their costs have gone up as much as oil has, i.e., they use a lot of coal and Nuclear.

Status
Not open for further replies.