Wood Pellets Suggestions Needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Gman12

Sep 16, 2011
Rutland, MA
Hi, I'm hoping I can get some feedback on recommended pellets I should get this year. I have a Quadra-Fire CB 1200 Freestanding. I've previously been burning Stove Chow and Fireside Ultra. Last years Firesides produced a ton of ash and clunkers in my burn pot which sometimes I'd find the stove shut off during the night due to it. I tried a bag of Stove Chow and Greene Team and it didn't cake up like the Fireside. I'm nervous to even pickup any Fireside from this year due to last years quality.

I need to get 3 tons this year. I'm trying to see if I should get Greene Team through Lowes which I can get for $249 a ton with the free shipping or if I should look at other pellets around that price or a little higher? Does anyone recommend certain brands over others? I'll be using this 3 tons for the colder/coldest part of winter by the way. Thanks in advance for everyone's suggestions!

Here's a couple links to places in my area for pellets and there pricing to help you guys see if they are good deals as I normally have been getting my pellets through Lowes and Home Depot, but looking to venture out to better ones if needed.

http://www.woodpelletsexperts.com/pricing.html

http://hubbardsfarm.com/category.php?category_id=8#sthash.aWvXeJ6K.dpbs

http://www.pelletsdirect.com/Wood Pellets Pricing.htm

I got screwed when I tried to burn year end clearance stove chows last year. Never again. I just paid the $285 and had my 4 tons of Greene team delivered for free today. Lowe's also carries Clean Energy pellets in some locations which are rebagged Hamers hot ones. I bought these to replace the Chows last year. A little ahy but consistent and hot. If you see those, snag them for $259. Lowe's here was loaded up with Grean Supreme and North American so I opted for the Greene Team.

Yeah, the Stove Chows I still have are from a couple years ago which was good. I had good luck for a few years using Firesides until last years batch I bought 3 tons of. Lowes up my way I've only seen Green Supreme and Greene Team. I've heard Green Supreme isn't that good anymore either. I'd love to try the Clean Energy ones since Hamers Hot Ones was one I was curious trying. Any other brands worth getting for the price around the Greene Team that might burn better/hotter? How does the Greene Team compare to say Hamers Hot Ones ($259), LG Granules ($270), Maine Woods ($252), or other brands recommended that won't break the bank? Hoping to order my pellets soon.

I use a Harman stove so it's a little different. The Greene Team are similar to the Clean Energy. Maybe a little less ashy. If you happen to come across Somersets, snag those, but they are like gold and hard to come by at least here. $249 is a good price for the Greene Teams. Here on Long Island, they charge more for the Greene Team. I paid $285. Most of Lowe's pellets are garbage. Stay away from the North American and the Green Supremes. Both will most likely leave your stove choking. Check with your local pellet dealers and see what they offer. If it's only $20-30 a ton difference then premium pellets are the way to go. Here the premium stuff starts at $330 and goes over $400 so I tend to stick with box stores.

Although I've never tried them, I'd get the Hamers for $259/ton. I bought Turman's this year for the same price. Wish I had got the Hamers! Seems like every time I find a pellet I like, they go out of business (Oakinagan) or the price goes way up. I'd like to get the vermont's from Robin's (tried a few bags last year from them), but too rich for my blood! Good luck with whatever you get.

burned Hamers last year in a harman..
very coarse ash..stove chows very ashy also but haven't burned them anymore.
this year I am all softwoods as I have a ton of okie plats leftover.

I liked the Okies (now Northern Warmth) but not at a $100/ton premium. I'd gladly use the Greene Team and vacuum my stove a little more to save $500-$600 a year.

I've never tried Hamers, just thought they were a good, hot pellet. Im looking forward to trying the Turmans. Always a question when trying new stuff.

So I think I am going to purchase all Softwood Pellets this year. Going to buy 4 tons (Different Brands to try). Right now i'm leaning on these 4 brands: Vermont Wood, Eastern Embers, Maine Woods, and Super LG Granules. Also are Logik-E better than the 4 I listed? Anyone have any opinions on those and if it's in my best interest to burn Softwood over the Hardwood. I heard Softwood is Hotter and Cleaner with less Ash. Thanks!

So I think I am going to purchase all Softwood Pellets this year. Going to buy 4 tons (Different Brands to try). Right now i'm leaning on these 4 brands: Vermont Wood, Eastern Embers, Maine Woods, and Super LG Granules. Also are Logik-E better than the 4 I listed? Anyone have any opinions on those and if it's in my best interest to burn Softwood over the Hardwood. I heard Softwood is Hotter and Cleaner with less Ash. Thanks!
Buy a few bags of each first. Not all pellets are consistent every year and some stoves are very picky. As far as softies being better.......you can look at the older posts and people will battle this to the death. The only pellet that I have ever burned and noticed a significant drop in ash was the Okanigan Douglas Fir pellets. I couldn’t believe it when I burned them. However they went out of business and although they claim Northern Warmth are pretty much the same, I’ll take their word on it at $430/ton. I would definitely keep at least some hardwood if you burn on low during the cool season. While the softies burn very hot and clean on high, I think the hardwoods burn better in my stove on low settings.

Buy a few bags of each first. Not all pellets are consistent every year and some stoves are very picky. As far as softies being better.......you can look at the older posts and people will battle this to the death. The only pellet that I have ever burned and noticed a significant drop in ash was the Okanigan Douglas Fir pellets. I couldn’t believe it when I burned them. However they went out of business and although they claim Northern Warmth are pretty much the same, I’ll take their word on it at $430/ton. I would definitely keep at least some hardwood if you burn on low during the cool season. While the softies burn very hot and clean on high, I think the hardwoods burn better in my stove on low settings.

So would it be bad to burn Softwood pellets on Low settings or do I have to use a higher setting? I usually always burn on Low with brands I've used like Greene Team, Stove Chow, Fireside Ultra, etc and house stayed warm. I actually have about 1 1/2 ton of Stove Chow, 1/2 ton of Fireside Ultra, and 6 bags of Greene Teams left right now before getting the 4 tons of new pellets. So I can use those for the cooler months before real cold sets in.

I actually just bought today 1 ton of Eastern Embers, 1 ton of Maine Woods, 1 ton Super LG Granules, and 1 ton of Vermont Wood. Maybe next year I'll pick up Hardwood Pellets. Have you heard of Blue Ridge Pellets or Comfort brands and if any good? I did want to buy a couple bags of a few other brands to try too and see how they do in my stove.

So would it be bad to burn Softwood pellets on Low settings or do I have to use a higher setting? I usually always burn on Low with brands I've used like Greene Team, Stove Chow, Fireside Ultra, etc and house stayed warm. I actually have about 1 1/2 ton of Stove Chow, 1/2 ton of Fireside Ultra, and 6 bags of Greene Teams left right now before getting the 4 tons of new pellets. So I can use those for the cooler months before real cold sets in.

I actually just bought today 1 ton of Eastern Embers, 1 ton of Maine Woods, 1 ton Super LG Granules, and 1 ton of Vermont Wood. Maybe next year I'll pick up Hardwood Pellets. Have you heard of Blue Ridge Pellets or Comfort brands and if any good? I did want to buy a couple bags of a few other brands to try too and see how they do in my stove.

That’s just my experience. Like I said, do some test burning and see what works best for your stove. For me the softies work better on high. I never heard of those other two brands. Good luck