Wood pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Late aug and sept
I would check with a non big-box store dealer. I used to buy mine for six or so years from big box stores but there's a dealer in Maine that delivers for free that sells pellets at 219 a ton. So I would shop around. I buy mine in April since that's when my dealer says he can give me the best price

Just ordered 4 tons from my dealer for next season at early buy prices. No having to wait for the unknown each fall.

Reactions: jackhammer
I live in central Maine and my pellet supplier just called wanting to know if I am ready for next years supply. I 'll be getting delivery of my pellets in a couple weeks. Heck, I am still burning pellets. When will it end.

I just got confirmation of delivery for next week of 6 ton of LG pellets @ $280/Ton delivered. Price is approaching my break even point for heating with oil, but I love burning pellets and I just got done rebuilding my Harman board with 3 new pots (The expensive improved ones). I also love having all my winters fuel on hand in the wood room.

The sad fact of the matter is we are just one blown up tanker in the Persian Gulf away from paying $7 bucks or more for heating oil, so having the pellets on hand is peace of mind.

Yeah when you figure out how much you have to invest in your pellet stove pellets I'm not sure over the years if it's cheaper than oil but it sure is nice and comfy in the TV room

my total cost for a newHarman P61A, all exhaust piping, side heat shields,OAK, plus pro install was around 4k.
never did the math to see if it has finally paid for itself over past 5 yrs. we burn 24/7.. doesn't matter....
I love the steady heat that I cannot get from oil fired hot water baseboard heat..
hot/cool down/ shut off/ back on/ hot/ cool down/ rinse/lather/repeat...no comparison so pellet heat it is...

my total cost for a newHarman P61A, all exhaust piping, side heat shields,OAK, plus pro install was around 4k.
never did the math to see if it has finally paid for itself over past 5 yrs. we burn 24/7.. doesn't matter....
I love the steady heat that I cannot get from oil fired hot water baseboard heat..
hot/cool down/ shut off/ back on/ hot/ cool down/ rinse/lather/repeat...no comparison so pellet heat it is...
Exactly where I come from we love our pellet stove heat over our oil baseboard

Reactions: Tonyray
Exactly where I come from we love our pellet stove heat over our oil baseboard
Was going to get a hot water tank, but then I realized that if we ever had a problem with the pellet stove, we would still have the oil furnace as backup heat. So we still have it and we use it for our hot water. 150 gallons of oil per year for domestic hot water. Maybe.

Was going to get a hot water tank, but then I realized that if we ever had a problem with the pellet stove, we would still have the oil furnace as backup heat. So we still have it and we use it for our hot water. 150 gallons of oil per year for domestic hot water. Maybe.
Same here.. Easton Pa born and raised

6 Ton of pellets? Are you eating that stuff next to burning it? SMILE

6 Ton of pellets? Are you eating that stuff next to burning it? SMILE

Hahaha, not very tasty. Maybe those applewood flavored ones they sell for smoking meats, I dunno. :)

Northern Vermont here. No joke, it gets cold as hell here with lots of NW winds and degree days at my location. Lots of running at feed rate 3-4. That eats pellets very fast. The oil burner will run only when it gets around -30 to -40F to take some of the edge off so the P43 is a trooper. Expecting great things this winter with the new 100K ultra life pots, the expensive red ones.

Last edited:
I have a 52I customer who burns 6-7. They are old and cold and on blood thinners and like it to stay 80-85 year round.