Wood price help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newguy09

Jan 5, 2009
Central IN
First year with the new stove (buckstove) and burning mostly 24-7. I thought I had about enough wood for the season (2.5 cords or so) but looks like I will run out in the next month probably. So I started calling a few places in the phone book and found most people out of seasoned wood. One guy had some that was 7-8 months old, mixed wood but "no junk wood", all split. He delivers a 1-ton dump trunk load for 100 dollars. Is this a reasonable price? About how much wood would this be? I have never bought firewood before so I don't have any idea. Always just cut my own. Also, I don't have much started on for next year yet so leftovers would be fine.

you would need to know the size of the dump bed to know how much your getting?

well a 1-ton dump trunk whatever size that is? I talked to another guy who had a 1-ton dump and he estimated in to be 3-3.5 ricks? He wanted 110

Figure around 200 cu ft for a cord loose piled. Once you know the dimensions of the truck box, you should have a better idea. I pay $100 for a cord of sopping wet 8 foot logs in the round.

newguy09 said:
well a 1-ton dump trunk whatever size that is?
Eggs-act-ly! It could be any size and a rick could be anything since it's not a legal unit of measure.

A 1 ton truck made to haul grain would have a bigger box than one made to haul gravel.

newguy09 said:
well a 1-ton dump trunk whatever size that is? I talked to another guy who had a 1-ton dump and he estimated in to be 3-3.5 ricks? He wanted 110
if it is the same size box then you would be looking at 1-1.20 cords of wood pretty good price but its just a guess?

Smokin J. I live near muncie, do you end up buying would from anyone or cut your own?

I went ahead and ordered a load for today because the other 2 places I called were out of seasoned wood and this guy only had one load left. When it gets a little warmer I'll need to get started on more for next year.

newguy09 said:
Smokin J. I live near muncie, do you end up buying would from anyone or cut your own?

I went ahead and ordered a load for today because the other 2 places I called were out of seasoned wood and this guy only had one load left. When it gets a little warmer I'll need to get started on more for next year.
pretty close do you have a way to haul?

newguy09 said:
Just a pickup
If you want to help I have a sweet spot for wood just north of Alex just need a good back and pick up (i have all the equment we will need a dolmer 5100)lol thats ones for you big red!

newguy09 said:
First year with the new stove (buckstove) and burning mostly 24-7. I thought I had about enough wood for the season (2.5 cords or so) but looks like I will run out in the next month probably. So I started calling a few places in the phone book and found most people out of seasoned wood. One guy had some that was 7-8 months old, mixed wood but "no junk wood", all split. He delivers a 1-ton dump trunk load for 100 dollars. Is this a reasonable price? About how much wood would this be? I have never bought firewood before so I don't have any idea. Always just cut my own. Also, I don't have much started on for next year yet so leftovers would be fine.

This link (http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/howood.htm) will give you wood btu output and weight per cord (4' x4' x8') and the wieght will tell you how much you are getting per ton. Some just load until it's full and call it a ton. Take oak over cottonwood. I my unit I get 9-10 hours with red oak, 8-9 hours with black walnut and cherry and 5.5-6 hours with cottonwood or pine. Pine has some of the hottest output per pound but it burns fast and when it's gone it's gone. If he sells it by the load go for the heaviest aged wood you can buy. If he sells by the pound (since it is a one ton dump) I'd go for something in the mid-range. You should probably go look at what you a trying to buy before you consent to buying a load though as that will give you a better idea what you are really buying...

Status
Not open for further replies.