Wood rot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Welderman85

Feeling the Heat
Nov 1, 2017
Chesaning MI
I had a guy come over the other day with a truck full of wood all ash. It was cut just not split. I have never meet him before in my life but I was at the little town hardware getting some chains sharpened and he must have over heard me talking about the insert I was installing. My question is some of it looks like it sat for a while the outer layer seems like its starting to get punky. It's not real soft like its rotten but looks to be on it ways soon. I split most of it and put it in the next year pile. Will it hurt anything to burn it.
.the photos are of the worst I found

Attachments

• 20191110_130737.jpg
    20191110_130737.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 287
  • 20191110_130722.jpg
    20191110_130722.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 283
The first picture looks a lil punky....will probably burn fast but the second picture the heart wood looks like it is pretty good. If most of it is like your second picture i would burn it assuming it is dry. If it burns fast save it for shoulder season.

Reactions: Stinkpickle
Try to store with at least a top cover and it will fine.

That'll burn. If that's the worst of it, you should be OK.

That might be good to burn this year. Punky sapwood can hold a bit of water when/if it gets wet so a cover to keep it dry would be good. Using it up would be too.

Burn it all, I just wouldn't use it for overnight fires on a cold night, Id burn it during the day and mix it with your other wood.

I have often picked up completely water soaked rotten ash and left it to dry. When it is dry it is very light in weight but burns ok and for a reasonable time. I have lots of space to store wood and only a limited supply so for me it's worth it.

I try to burn any wood I take the effort to cut. This means I burn some rotten/low quality wood. I usually save this stuff for daytime use (or when I am around the house more frequent), and burn the quality stuff at night.

Rotten wood, weird/small splits, odd knotty bits, etc...I keep it all to burn, and it's the first stuff I burn during shoulder season. If I'm cutting it down, I may as well burn it...

About as good as burning newspaper. Trash.

I would toss it out in the woods.

I try to burn any wood I take the effort to cut. This means I burn some rotten/low quality wood. I usually save this stuff for daytime use (or when I am around the house more frequent), and burn the quality stuff at night.

Rotten wood, weird/small splits, odd knotty bits, etc...I keep it all to burn, and it's the first stuff I burn during shoulder season. If I'm cutting it down, I may as well burn it...

Funny those ugly pieces you don't want to carry in the house don't look so bad as the wood pile grows smaller. Used to call them chunks and punks.

I'm burning some Red Maple that's a bit rotten. Just stacked some ash that is not great. I have seen others burn some in the past that was falling apart. It burns just burns fast and puts out little heat.

Funny those ugly pieces you don't want to carry in the house don't look so bad as the wood pile grows smaller. Used to call them chunks and punks.

Yup. I typically stack all those bits on top of my existing stacks, and burn them first when a burn season starts. They are my first/day burn supply, until they're all gone. I've been slacking in my cutting the the past couple years. I'm at the tail end of my 3 year supply, and may not have enough left to get to the spring. Right about now, I'd sure love to have a whole stack full of chunks and punks! lol

Yup. I typically stack all those bits on top of my existing stacks, and burn them first when a burn season starts. They are my first/day burn supply, until they're all gone. I've been slacking in my cutting the the past couple years. I'm at the tail end of my 3 year supply, and may not have enough left to get to the spring. Right about now, I'd sure love to have a whole stack full of chunks and punks! lol
How can you run out when you have a 3 year supply, or am I misreading?

slacker;lol