Wood score for the day

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Michael Sean

Jul 3, 2017
Kentucky
I went out today to pull some trees out of the woods that looked like pines that had fell over and just got stuck on the way down. So I went in to cut them free of the other trees but instead of cutting into pine I quickly realized it was a bunch of black locust.

IMG_1120.JPG
IMG_1121.JPG

Needless to say I got pretty excited and pulled them all out. I cut a round off and split it too see what the moister content was and the news just kept getting better.

IMG_1117.JPG
IMG_1119.JPG
So now I just have to buck em up and split the bigger rounds and it will all be ready to burn this season.

love black locust. i'll take it over red oak any day. dries way faster. great score

I got almost 2 cord of black locust back in the spring. Some is ready to go, I'm looking forward to using some when the really cold hits. I did burn a few pieces at the end of last season and it definitely burns hotter than anything I burned so far. Nice score!

It's definitely one of my favorite woods to burn as it is a lot of people's. There's no telling how long they had just been sitting there since block locust is very rot resistant.

What I'm trying to figure out is why they fell over. It looked like the roots just have out on them. Is there any kind of blight or other things that might attack black locust?

You Lucky Dog !!

There is not much better than BL without the bark, bone dry too. You've done well !

"why they fell over" I think they tend not to have strong root systems , I see quite a few up this way up-rooted too.

Any time you find wood that you will only need to pick up less than ten times you've done well. Looks like this might make it to the stove with some where around five times being picked up.

Last edited: