wood score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

loneeagle15

Hearth Supporter
Feb 12, 2007
Montana
went to a friends house and saw a pile of elm on the ground after knocking on several doors found the owner 30 bucks a truck load truck holds just over a cord a load tree removal sevice said there was 6-8 cords there
now the work (or is it the fun) begins

nice grab man. great score... make your friend help load.
i see wood everywhere, and want to knock but i need a hauler though.
i drive a hyundai coupe, i'd do wheelie w/3 logs in the back. and my wife has the new santa fe... i dont care how careful i am, its a tan interior.

Buy your wife a trailer for her B-day : )

jd said:
went to a friends house and saw a pile of elm on the ground after knocking on several doors found the owner 30 bucks a truck load truck holds just over a cord a load tree removal sevice said there was 6-8 cords there
now the work (or is it the fun) begins

Great score! We are working elm too. Burns great, but watch your maul. I have been through two handles already! this stuff is tough! Work it right and it will heat your home nicely. :) I would call it the fun part now! I like running the Husky!!!!!!! :cheese:

A wood score is a wood score.
Last year I found some Elm. And I don't know if its not seasoned or what, but I quit burning it. It just didn't put out the heat. I guess I will wait and see how it does after another year of sitting.
Man it is stringy wood though.

Caz said:
Buy your wife a trailer for her B-day : )

Yeah, and she will buy herself a maul also; for your head!

I got a call from a lady up the road from my parents house. She asked if I wanted the big maple tree out in front of her house. I said yeah, if its already down, cause its right on the road and in powerlines. So, she had it limbed and there is about a 25' stump there now that I can easily drop and buck up. I bet the base is around 35" in diameter Good thing I have a 20" bar! Hard sugar maple

moondoggy your hauler doesn't need to be nice we found a old chevy truck for 500. and about all we do with it is haul crap around(gravel eood and dump runs)

yea i know..... i saw an 91 s-10 on ebay go at ~700 bucks last week.
money is so tight now couldnt scrape that up if i tried. one day...maybe i can use the money i'll save on oil next year... and yes all i need is a hauler, the trailer is a good idea but not if i can get a truck for close to the same cost.

They just trimmed the powerlines right behind my house a few weeks back and left all the wood. There has got to be years and years of a supply there. I pulled out an overflowing 8' truck bed full of Oak, and Cherry last weekend. going to go back for more ASAP. It is a bit difficult to get in there to get it, and I do have to carry it a bit to get it to the truck, but...its FREE!!

Man I'll tell you that Splitting Elm got me in the best shape of my life.If that wood is wet you'll need a sludge and up to 3 wedges to split it.It just sucks up wedges and axes are out of the question however if this wood is seasoned and dry it gives off great heat and burns a long time.Some of the longest burning wood that I've experienced and hottest was well seasoned elm.

Status
Not open for further replies.