Wood Score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

adubree86

May 10, 2016
Overland Park, KS
We’ve decided next winter we are heating with wood. In the process of researching inserts but right now we are between the blaze king princess and the quadrafire voyager grand. I just picked up a 22 ton splitter the other day and started asking around about wood. Well needless to say I scored. Found a guy that has a ton of ash that’s been laying for a yr. He says I can have it all. All the work ahead of me is intimidating but ya can’t beat free. Got a start on cutting today. After talking to the guy he told me he knew another guy that had about the same size pile of oak that I can have too.

2003B797-F721-4C4A-8503-58BC7637B58E.jpeg

0C4FA429-1AAD-4D58-B691-263F4D0CFB8D.jpeg

DFE02DD6-EBE7-4644-A746-732E657D6842.jpeg

thats a ton. would definitely take the oak to cant believe anyone would be just giving that away.

you said you are new so i will try to pass a few tips i ve learned long the way. the chips look pretty dusty to me, on harder woods you have to slow the chain down it will cut faster. seems counter intuituve but it does and the chips should look like noodles from just about any wood if you are doing it right. the dust is bad for the chain, bar, clutch, air filter. i would clean that stuff with an air compressor once a day when you want to cut a ton. i had a saw like that pretty much, for years i would have 2 or 3 sharpened chains ready to cut that much. the dust from running it dull gets into all that crap and then you will have to buy bars and clutches like i had to learn the hard way.
i got sick of it though so i saved up and got a stihl pro saw, now i fill the gas and oil once and that lasts all day, and the chain doesnt get dull for a ton of uses

I did notice the blade dulling rather quickly. Wasn’t even close to the ground. How do I go about slowing the blade down?

thats a ton. would definitely take the oak to cant believe anyone would be just giving that away.

you said you are new so i will try to pass a few tips i ve learned long the way. the chips look pretty dusty to me, on harder woods you have to slow the chain down it will cut faster. seems counter intuituve but it does and the chips should look like noodles from just about any wood if you are doing it right. the dust is bad for the chain, bar, clutch, air filter. i would clean that stuff with an air compressor once a day when you want to cut a ton. i had a saw like that pretty much, for years i would have 2 or 3 sharpened chains ready to cut that much. the dust from running it dull gets into all that crap and then you will have to buy bars and clutches like i had to learn the hard way.
i got sick of it though so i saved up and got a stihl pro saw, now i fill the gas and oil once and that lasts all day, and the chain doesnt get dull for a ton of uses

There is no way to slow the chain down unless you back of the throttle....whats the point in that? Keep your chain sharp and spares on hand. I keep 10 per saw....yes 10...I go to cut...not play and waste time.You have a lot of cutting to do and will need extra chains unless you sharpen your own and even then I don't like to be slowed down by taking the time to touch up and besides if you hit something it will take more than a touch up and lots more time...EXCELLENT SCORE!

I’ve got 3 chains right now but was considering picking up a few more.
It will not hurt a thing to keep extras on hand...can you take the splitter there? Be nice to keep the mess there...:)

yep let off the gas but sharper the chain the faster you can cut, have to make sure the oil system is clean too. alot of them have holes in the bar you have to clean and in the saw housing, if its not getting oil it will dull quick. i have a few round saw files i would hit the chains with while i had a few minutes after work or something. just chuck it into the drill, that gives you a few more uses out of the small chain

Oil was for sure following. Took the bar and chain off and made sure everything was clean. Ran it without the bar and chain and it spit a stream of oil. I’ll sharpen then chains and give it another go with a slightly slower speed and see what my results are.

that just says the pump and passages in the saw are working, but you have to make sure its getting to the chain through the bar. my saws liked to plug those holes when i didnt care about the dust, the dusty oil crap got into the drive and clutch and wore that out too. theres a hole from the little holes in the bar out to the chain. i will poke that out with a zip tie or wire. compressor doesnt clean it very well

JWFIREBIRD...Have over 40 years around chainsaws, loggers, and sawmillers...have never ever heard of anyone sawing slower in hardwoods. A Sharp chain and full throttle works all the time. Audubree learn how to sharpen, and do it often, or carry spare chain. If you sharpen lightly often it is much easier than sharpening once chain is dull.

Thanks for the advice. Sharpened up a couple chains this morning with the assistance of a guy who knows what he’s doing so that’s helpful. I’ll plan on picking up additional chains to use as needed. I think what killed the edge on it yesterday was ice. Most those logs were snow/ice covered.

JWFIREBIRD...Have over 40 years around chainsaws, loggers, and sawmillers...have never ever heard of anyone sawing slower in hardwoods. A Sharp chain and full throttle works all the time. Audubree learn how to sharpen, and do it often, or carry spare chain. If you sharpen lightly often it is much easier than sharpening once chain is dull.

Make sure you cut them to the right length.

We’ve decided next winter we are heating with wood. In the process of researching inserts but right now we are between the blaze king princess and the quadrafire voyager grand. I just picked up a 22 ton splitter the other day and started asking around about wood. Well needless to say I scored. Found a guy that has a ton of ash that’s been laying for a yr. He says I can have it all. All the work ahead of me is intimidating but ya can’t beat free. Got a start on cutting today. After talking to the guy he told me he knew another guy that had about the same size pile of oak that I can have too.

View attachment 221226

View attachment 221227

View attachment 221228
SCORE! That's right. You are getting off on the right foot. That ash will be ready for you next year. A great example of relationship building, too.

View attachment 221226

View attachment 221227

View attachment 221228
Very good score indeed. We have 14 acres and slowly I've been cleaning Ash Walnut some Oak and Maple and have a lifetime of firewood. It is very intimidating but it is good exercise too LOL and I save about 400 a month using wood. So good luck. We use a Buck Stove series 91 it has been incredibly awesome it's an insert and we have a 2600 square foot house that it Heats fully with our air handler on mixing the air

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Make sure you cut them to the right length.
Yes cut them to the right length and if anybody helps you make sure they know what length you want them. I take my cuts and I load them in a specific container for transportation and sometimes they cut them two to three inches too long and it pisses me off to no end. Size Matters LOL

Reactions: Tar12
I have been around the firewood and logging business pushing 35 years....only time a saw gets slowed down is when it gets shut off for the day or refueled! It is totally counter productive to slow down..good advice on touching up through out the day..

Reactions: nrford
Yes cut them to the right length and if anybody helps you make sure they know what length you want them. I take my cuts and I load them in a specific container for transportation and sometimes they cut them two to three inches too long and it pisses me off to no end. Size Matters LOL

A Dingo paint marker would be a excellent tool for him on those logs!

Thanks for the advice. Sharpened up a couple chains this morning with the assistance of a guy who knows what he’s doing so that’s helpful. I’ll plan on picking up additional chains to use as needed. I think what killed the edge on it yesterday was ice. Most those logs were snow/ice covered.
As you discovered ice is not your friend and you will need to sharpen frequently to maintain sharpness or wait till it melts! I hate ice...

Excellent score.

Get you a slip-on 4 way for that splitter! Those right sized Ash logs are begging for it! It will speed up your production for sure!

all I ever do is harder woods, all frozen stuff. seemed like the small saw I had that was the only way to keep the edge. the stihl doesn't much care