Wood Seasoning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JohnDaileyNH

Feeling the Heat
Oct 10, 2022
Seacoast, NH
I have a few cords of wood I though would be ready but aren't. I have brought a few pieces in at various points, split and tested the 24 hours later and it is at 22% MC. My question is, if I move a bunch of this in to the garage and let it sit will it dry further before I burn it?

Still working on getting my wood stockpile a few years ahead so I have to burn it at some point this winter. Just trying to help myself out and see if I can get is a little more dry

At 22% it's burnable. Not ideal, but sometimes there is no choice. If you bring it into the garage that can help it dry, especially if you can have an oscillating fan blowing across the face of the stack. If you can bring a box or two of it into the house for a few days, that might help too.

At 22% it's burnable. Not ideal, but sometimes there is no choice. If you bring it into the garage that can help it dry, especially if you can have an oscillating fan blowing across the face of the stack. If you can bring a box or two of it into the house for a few days, that might help too.
I have a stack right next to the stove I usually keep a few days on at a time. I can definitely do that. Figured in the garage for a month prior would help some more. I think I can fit about a cord in there. Might do that this weekend then and get a move on. Still have a cord and a half thats ready to go so it would have plenty of time so sit in the garage.

Thank you

Test a few of the thickest splits at room temperature after resplitting them to determine if the 22% is an average, high, or low reading.

I'm assuming this is an attached garage. If so, it'll be warmer and drier so it's gotta help.