wood shed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wellbuilt home

Minister of Fire
Jul 6, 2008
NY
I need a way to store my wood .Ive been burning for 1/2 a life time but have just used a stack system to store my wood. The stacks are just takeing to moch space in the yard . I would like to store the spliter in the shed . I was thinking about a 8x10 x14'shed with a roof and a porch to split on when its raining .I would have 6 footings a wal 2x6 floor , should i have walls on all sides or leave the front open? , I could go to the mill and get sawn lumber for the sides and leave a space between the boards. Will the bugs eat the sawn lumber? I would like to split the wood as i get it and keep it in the shed. I want to cut down on the mess. Ive bulit a wood fence with a small roof over it 36" wide and the owners would stack there wood along the back side . my wood is about 10 foot from my back door if i move the pile way in the back of the house it would be a pain to get every day . whats every one think?

Do it. If you use firewood for most or all your heating a wood shed is a need.
There are many plans online --Google, or look at some jpeg's on Arboristsite.com.
My shed takes 5+ cords for most of winter wood. It is a "pole shed" using sofwood poles on cement blocks and scrap flitchboards or mill left overs for the sides and back spaced a few inches for air flow. The most expensive part was the corrregated fiberglass roof ---2'x 12' translucent panels @ ~ $35/each. The rest of the 1-2 cords are stacked in the open and in a"storm shed" next to the house with ~ 1/2 cord for those days when I don't want to get my hair wet.
Damn, if I knew how to download pictures from our new digicam, I'd show you. Luddites.

Sounds real good Im a builder and a shed would come easy for me . I just need to now what to build . I have a steep hill next to my house and i was thinking about digging a shed into the hill i could build something 20' wide and 16' deep and really keep some wood dry . would there be enough air flow to dry it ?

12' x 16' exterior, 144 sq ft of floor. Stacked 7' high, the theoretical capacity is 7 7/8 cords. We'll likely stuff about 6 1/2 in it, with room for kindling bins & such. Rick

EDIT: There are about a zillion threads on Hearth.com all about different ways we shed our firewood...try a search, you'll see some really innovative ideas.

Attachments

• tarp.jpg
    tarp.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 915
rick i think that is what i want , will the splitter fit under the roof? is the floor spaced for air circulation? is the siding spaced ? can you split rounds and stack them with out drying first. My wood get split now and covered at first snow .Ive never really had wood season for a year but if i had a shed i mite start gathering wood in the spring rather then in the fall . man dose the loader fit under a roof in the back? very sweet

One thing you might seriously consider is being able to stack or pull out wood from opposite ends. I can fit about 8 cords under my lean to. Pull from one end one year. Stack new next to the remainder
of the seasoned. Next year pull from the seasoned end & then you are starting on the next oldest seasoned wood.
Al

Yes i was thinking the same thing, I cut about 4 cords a year but have around 2 cord+- left each year to start off burning the following year..I liked ricks shed alot because you can pull wood from either side of the opening , and even start stacking and splitting for the next year . I am thinking about digging ricks shed into a hill side next to my deck i mit go larger.Iim thinking about 12x20 with block wall to grade in the rear and a larger door so i could park my skidsteer in there with a log splitter I am thinking of doing a land scape / 18x 20 family room addition / stone wall around the yard project next year i mite slip a wood shed in to .

Yes i was thinking the same thing, I cut about 4 cords a year but have around 2 cord+- left each year to start off burning the following year..I liked ricks shed alot because you can pull wood from either side of the opening , and even start stacking and splitting for the next year . I am thinking about digging ricks shed into a hill side next to my deck i mit go larger.Iim thinking about 12x20 with block wall to grade in the rear and a larger door so i could park my skidsteer in there with a log splitter I am thinking of doing a land scape / 18x 20 family room addition / stone wall around the yard project next year i mite slip a wood shed in to .

wellbuilt home said:
...will the splitter fit under the roof?

Yes. I can store it or I can use it under roof. Or I can pull it out of the way and I can hand split under roof.

wellbuilt home said:
...is the floor spaced for air circulation? is the siding spaced ?

Yes, and yes. ~1/2" gaps all around

wellbuilt home said:
...can you split rounds and stack them with out drying first.

I could, but all the wood I'm stuffing in there is ready to burn now. I'll season outside. The shed's for rain/snow protection and for convenient access from the house during burning season. Also for appearance, as it's right next to our home, with easy access from either front or back door.

wellbuilt home said:
...man dose the loader fit under a roof in the back?

No. The loader doesn't have its own house. :p Rick

fossil said:

Mean 'ol loader owner >:-(

Jags said:
fossil said:

Yeah, I'm a mean guy. I built a house for my firewood, but the loader gets a tarp. :lol: Rick

fossil said:
Jags said:
fossil said:

Yeah, I'm a mean guy. I built a house for my firewood, but the loader gets a tarp. :lol: Rick

Yeah, but you don't have to bring a snow laden loader into the house during winter either. Good call.

Exactamundo, shipmate. Rick

Just make sure you don't burn up the wood that was set aside for the shed. %-P Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.