wood shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dman_110

Apr 23, 2011
nwct
ive been toyin with the idea of recirculating my wood boiler smoke with a fan down to the bottem of my woodshed and drying the wood with the spent heat normaly wasted, anyone ever messed with this. its just a thought. i havent had the opertunity in three years to get a season ahead on my firewood, so im usually scrambling in september to put up the 12 cord of mostly green wood i burn. im sure i would burn less if i had seasoned wood but it just hasent happened yet. ive got a central outdoor boiler, im thinkin of removing the smoke stack, installing a stainless 90' down, have a tee to draw in outdoor air, (to temper the heat a little) and push it through some grills in the bottem of my wood shed, then put some grates around the top walls to release the heat/smoke/moisture.I dont know, what do you think?

Not so sure that sounds like a good idea but perhaps I don't completely understand it.

12 cord of wood is a lot of wood for a year but many around here burn like that with the owb. I hate it that they promote burning green wood in them and you are correct, you will burn much less wood if you can get that wood put up sooner. Because you can burn larger logs and even big rounds, if I had one I'd want about a 5 year wood supply on hand just so it had enough time to get rid of more moisture. Water simply does not burn!

Good luck and let us know if you find your idea works.

Status
Not open for further replies.