Wood Splitting LOL

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the LOL for?

??? Missing something bobdog.

I think I was mostly amused by " the art of manliness"

I have followed that site for years. Has some good stuff.

Based on the splitting article, I'm more inclined to the LOL. Doesn't seem like the guy did any research into tools, wood or technique. I can't fathom what prompted him to pick up an axe. "Never" hits the same place? C'mon, that's silly. Split a few cord a season and one will definitely find that groove. Bad form in the pix. If this is intended to "re-introduce" men to something outside of video games and facebook, I'd pass. The video of the old guy splitting is not a good example of form either.

I loaned my Fiskars to a young kid at work after I cut down 12 trees in his yard last spring and gave him the basics. He split three cord in a week and called me up to tell me "Splitting is the s**t!" Against my better judgment I loaned him a saw to do the last tree. 2 chains later he wanted a lesson in that too. But it was nice to see that he could appreciate the time and effort needed to do some firewood work. Kept his family warm for part of the winter and he's been pestering me to find him a good stove for next year. He'd term the article "written by a d-bag" and go back to thinking about how to take down the mammoth oak over the driveway. (That's for a tree service, for sure.)

Cheers, Bobd, from an ex-Lancasterian (County). Went to high school at Donegal. Miss that Susquehanna area.

Based on the splitting article, I'm more inclined to the LOL. Doesn't seem like the guy did any research into tools, wood or technique. I can't fathom what prompted him to pick up an axe. "Never" hits the same place? C'mon, that's silly. Split a few cord a season and one will definitely find that groove. Bad form in the pix. If this is intended to "re-introduce" men to something outside of video games and facebook, I'd pass. The video of the old guy splitting is not a good example of form either.

I loaned my Fiskars to a young kid at work after I cut down 12 trees in his yard last spring and gave him the basics. He split three cord in a week and called me up to tell me "Splitting is the s**t!" Against my better judgment I loaned him a saw to do the last tree. 2 chains later he wanted a lesson in that too. But it was nice to see that he could appreciate the time and effort needed to do some firewood work. Kept his family warm for part of the winter and he's been pestering me to find him a good stove for next year. He'd term the article "written by a d-bag" and go back to thinking about how to take down the mammoth oak over the driveway. (That's for a tree service, for sure.)

Cheers, Bobd, from an ex-Lancasterian (County). Went to high school at Donegal. Miss that Susquehanna area.

Cheers to you too. I found the whole thing amusing. I got a Fiskars X25 today. Enough of a man to know a 5'6 guy swinging an x27 isnt ideal. That Fiskars is head and shoulders above all my other splitting tools.

I like the web site as well and have followed it. My teenage daughter's have viewed this site and have already begun to check off qualities of men that would make good protectors and providers as future spouses. Hopefully, I pray, that I may continue to be a good role model to them as well.

Reactions: ArsenalDon
Every maul handle I have broken has been when splitting to the opposite side of the round like he is doing.

Reactions: pen
Status
Not open for further replies.