Wood Storage Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

emsflyer84

Sep 12, 2011
Central NH
Hey all, looking for some advice. I have storage issues. I have a small property with limited storage space. Right now I have my wood stacked on pallets which sit on crushed stone behind my unheated garage. It’s only about 2 feet from the back of the building at the moment. Besides the fact that it’s close to the building it’s actually a nice spot because it’s easily accessible in the winter and it’s mostly covered by a second story deck. The problem is, if I move all the wood to the back of the property into a wood shed or something, I’ll have to constantly clear feet of snow all the way across the yard from the house to the shed and figure out a way to move quantities of wood from the shed to the house, etc. the way we plow the driveway we have to push the snow into the back yard which would end up pushed up to the woodshed. Anyway, there are many reasons that moving the wood away from the house will make my things much more difficult. But I know keeping it close to the house is not good either. Anyway, just looking for a bit of advice. Unfortunately I think the answer will be to find a way to move the wood and deal with it :)

IMG_1828.jpeg

dunno if this helps you ernot...
my woodshed is located approximately 30 yards from my door.
you may receive more snow than southeastern Wisconsin but i use a ice fishing sled that'll hold about enough wood for two days...
i can also store about that same amount near my stove.
i also had my wood near the house when we bought this property, but decided to built the shed further away from the house.
i was much younger then...

I don't see a problem with it 2 feet from the house. I have one of my woodpiles right next to the concrete block foundation. The bugs don't like wood that is split, and drying.
Good looking wood pile. Is that ash?

Bugs like wood piles, so do snakes.
I don't have to deal with snow like you do but I do have to transport my wood from the stacks to my front porch. Do you have a tractor or a UTV? I use a small trailer behind a lawnmower to restock my rack if my wood is from the closer stack. I have stacks that are further away and I'm looking at a dedicated 4x8 trailer that I can load and keep near the house and work my wood out of as needed.

I don't see a problem with it 2 feet from the house. I have one of my woodpiles right next to the concrete block foundation. The bugs don't like wood that is split, and drying.
Good looking wood pile. Is that ash?

It is all ash. I found a guy locally that has property with nothing but ash and he’s trying to unload it. I’ll see how it does, it’s been seasoned a couple of years already so it’s dry. I’m just splitting the bigger chunks now. This is only my second year in the woodburning game. I had random mixed hardwoods delivered last year, but it was so late in the fall by the time I got anything delivered that it was a mixed bag as far as wet, dry… So I don’t really have a good baseline to work from on. What would I like to burn the best at this point.

If it makes a difference, the wall that the pile is near is the back of an unheated garage space, basically, it’s a concrete pad that the garage is built on top of. No in-ground foundation underneath that part of the house.

Hey all, looking for some advice. I have storage issues. I have a small property with limited storage space. Right now I have my wood stacked on pallets which sit on crushed stone behind my unheated garage. It’s only about 2 feet from the back of the building at the moment. Besides the fact that it’s close to the building it’s actually a nice spot because it’s easily accessible in the winter and it’s mostly covered by a second story deck. The problem is, if I move all the wood to the back of the property into a wood shed or something, I’ll have to constantly clear feet of snow all the way across the yard from the house to the shed and figure out a way to move quantities of wood from the shed to the house, etc. the way we plow the driveway we have to push the snow into the back yard which would end up pushed up to the woodshed. Anyway, there are many reasons that moving the wood away from the house will make my things much more difficult. But I know keeping it close to the house is not good either. Anyway, just looking for a bit of advice. Unfortunately I think the answer will be to find a way to move the wood and deal with it :)

View attachment 312649
Why don’t you build some additional pallet stacks on the grass behind the pile in the pic then top cover it.

Bugs like wood piles, so do snakes.
I don't have to deal with snow like you do but I do have to transport my wood from the stacks to my front porch. Do you have a tractor or a UTV? I use a small trailer behind a lawnmower to restock my rack if my wood is from the closer stack. I have stacks that are further away and I'm looking at a dedicated 4x8 trailer that I can load and keep near the house and work my wood out of as needed.
I have an ATV and I can get a small trailer for it but the snow piles up so much it would get stuck unfortunately.

I could do that, that area in front of the current pallets is basically the walkway around the back of the house from the driveway. But I could do that.
That’s what I do next to my driveway. Still close by.

Reactions: Woody Stover
I found a guy locally that has property with nothing but ash and he’s trying to unload it. I’ll see how it does, it’s been seasoned a couple of years already so it’s dry. I’m just splitting the bigger chunks now....What would I like to burn the best at this point.
You might be in for more disappointment this coming winter unless you have a plan B. Wood doesn't dry very fast until it's split, stacked in rows perpendicular to the prevailing wind, and top-covered. Even better is cross-stacked, where a lot of swirling air is moving through.
That load in the pic looks mostly like stuff that hasn't been dead real long, though there are a couple where the bark has popped off.
As an aside, I've cut Ash that's been dead maybe five years, and it still meters at 30%. But I think that moisture leaves quicker than it does from a live tree. That's just a theory..I'll have to see, now that the borer is getting into high gear here.
What you might do for a fall-back option in case the Ash can't get dry enough, is to see if your guy can get some soft Maple (I like Red better than Silver.) If split no more that 4" on a side, it can still get pretty dry by fall. Hard (Sugar) Maple takes a couple years, like Ash.
Or if you have a saw, and access to a woodlot, cull small <8" dead trees with all the bark gone. In some cases, it will already be under 20%. It takes longer to accumulate an appreciable amount of wood this way, and it looks like you burn a few cords to keep that house warm, but you gotta have dry wood. Wet wood will become even wetter when soaked in the tears of your frustration. 😉
That’s what I do next to my driveway. Still close by.
Good idea..you gotta keep the drive cleared anyway. Might impact your curb appeal, if that's a thing (and your wife appeal.) 😏

Reactions: wetwood4life
I was always under the impression that white ash dries fast like in one season. Much faster than red oak. Especially if cut in smaller splits.

Last edited:
Along with the pallets cross stacked near the wood line line, I have a concrete retaining wall lining the woods side of my driveway. I have PT 2 x 4’s on top of bricks along this wall with 3 ft stacks across the entire run. Say 75 ft. All top covered and looks really good from the street. Air can get under and blow through the stacks and gets great sun.

Wood next the house will greatly reduce the house's surviveability in a wildfire. That's a big concern where I am. It might not be in NH, yet. It can also cause mold growth on the siding if it's keeping the area damp.

I bring wood up to near the house in IBC totes that I move with the tractor. From there I load plastic bins that hold about 45lbs of wood and carry those into the house. We don't get that much snow here so when it snows I just beat a path over the snow to the tote. Everyone develops their own system. I like the plastic bins because it's fewer trips outside, I can stack a few on the porch by the back door, and they contain any dirt or bark on the splits.

Wood next the house will greatly reduce the house's surviveability in a wildfire. That's a big concern where I am. It might not be in NH, yet. It can also cause mold growth on the siding if it's keeping the area damp.

I bring wood up to near the house in IBC totes that I move with the tractor. From there I load plastic bins that hold about 45lbs of wood and carry those into the house. We don't get that much snow here so when it snows I just beat a path over the snow to the tote. Everyone develops their own system. I like the plastic bins because it's fewer trips outside, I can stack a few on the porch by the back door, and they contain any dirt or bark on the splits.
There is some truth to what you are saying if the fire was in his garage near the wood. Also you are inviting pest and snakes and rodents near your home. With that said I do keep a 1/3 cord or emergency well seasoned wood on a Woodhaven steel rack with top cover under my deck. It’s about ten feet away from my siding.

I've cut down dead standing ash, it ranged from 28 percent, to 24 percent. Did I say I like white ash?

Sadly the ash around here is all gone. Do have a woodshed full Gracias a Dios.

Personally i dont really see much of a problem with where your woods stacked now me i have large stack of wood drying out on my front porch( has concrete floor) where i jammed as much as i could in there my 2nd stack is in my mudroom stacked to the ceiling with windows open and 3rd stack bein in seperate room of garage and last being inside my garage

Reactions: emsflyer84
I see no problem where you stack your wood.
My wood is stacked in the loft of my drive shed
in the fall it is moved to my basement (4cord)
never had a snake, rodent or bug problem.
Do what works for you

I was always under the impression that white ash dries fast like in one season. Much faster than red oak. Especially if cut in smaller splits.
I agree, everything I’ve heard is that it’s one of the faster-seasoning hardwoods.
I've cut down dead standing ash, it ranged from 28 percent, to 24 percent. Did I say I like white ash?
Sadly the ash around here is all gone. Do have a woodshed full Gracias a Dios.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can get White Ash dry over just one summer, in these conditions and the way I split..like 4-5" on a side. If you live where there's low humidity and your stacks are on a windy ridge, then maybe you can. Or if your splits are 3".
My stacks are in the woods and get less wind in the summer with leaves on the trees, and if the humidity in the afternoon gets under 50% I consider it a pleasant afternoon, even if it's 90 out. 😏
I think my Ash might get dry in two summers, but in all honesty I haven't monitored wood drying all that closely since I got several years ahead. Now, I have watched Red Maple more closely when I've had it at my SILs' drying and I'm hoping they can burn it a year later, or sometimes after one long spring/summer. I know for a fact that it gets pretty dry, like around 20%, in that time.
Like Simon sez, 😏 Ash starts around 30% when cut, not 45% or the dreaded OL on the meter, like Oak, so the White Ash has a head start on Oak.
What I found odd was that when I cut an Ash that's been standing dead for five years or more, it's still around 30%, like I'd see in a live one. I'm hoping that the moisture in these long-dead trees I've cut and stacked this spring (Red Elm and White Ash) will leave faster than the moisture in live wood will, and I'm going to keep a closer eye on that stuff this summer.
The borer is just getting into high gear here, so there's quite a lot of trees that haven't died all the way yet, or that still look fairly healthy. It'll be a sad day when the Ash is gone. 😔 This old man enjoys being able to whack some wood without tearing up his bod too bad.. 😆

I went out yesterday for some advertised free wood. I drive up to the house. Great, there was some big white ash cut into about 25" rounds (I prefer 16"). Now, the giver-away changes his mind and decides to sell his white ash, wth. The ad said free 4 times.

The wood is big, moist, needing to be loaded, and is cut to the wrong length. There is about 1 cord. I offer him $75. I don't usually pay for wood, but I'm there. Not good enough. The free wood is now $125 and climbing as the wheels in his mind are turning. I politely bow out. That has never happened to me before - from free to $$$. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: wetwood4life
I went out yesterday for some advertised free wood. I drive up to the house. Great, there was some big white ash cut into about 25" rounds (I prefer 16"). Now, the giver-away changes his mind and decides to sell his white ash, wth. The ad said free 4 times.

The wood is big, moist, needing to be loaded, and is cut to the wrong length. There is about 1 cord. I offer him $75. I don't usually pay for wood, but I'm there. Not good enough. The free wood is now $125 and climbing as the wheels in his mind are turning. I politely bow out. That has never happened to me before - from free to $$$. :)
same bulls*** happened to me about 7-8 years ago... wood was about 8 to ten inch rounds cut to 4 foot lengths... about 10 of em.
craigs list ad stated FREE to haul away, just take it.
i get there, wood down by the roadway, i start loading get one in the bed and the guy comes running out yelling WAIT WAIT!
Wife said i gotta sell it.
wanted ahundred bucks.
told him no thanks.

Reactions: cahaak and qwee

That's crappy. I picked up a truck load of larger white birch this am for free. The guys was just happy I showed up! He has a LOT more. Hoping to make another trip tomorrow.

Reactions: qwee
Truth is you need storage for a minimum of two years worth of wood. I hate moving and re stacking.

I would build a shed at the back and stack what you can in it’s current spot. and get/make a sled if I had to go back to the shed in the snow. I haul wood from the shed until it’s snowed in the then burn what’s close. That’s not organized well but that’s how I am.