Wood Stove Cooking

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fire Goddess

Hearth Supporter
Dec 18, 2007
Northern MA
Anybody doing it? Got any good recipes or links on how-to? Made my first wood stove meal last night and I am thinking of doing it as much as possible to be more green and use less electricity....

I cook on mine all the time, soups, stews, chili, bread all in a cast iron dutch oven. Potatoes etc in foil on the coals. Any thing you can do in a crock pot will work just fine in a dutch oven. Good idea to get a good solid trivet to help regulate the temp some. With my step top Ive got 2 different surface temps to work with plus the trivet

In a cast iron dutch oven, I cheat and use the bread machine box mixes but im sure you could do it from scratch. Let the stove burn down to a bed of coals, now you can do this one of 2 ways, place the dutch oven on the coals and with tongs place a few coals on the lid. If your stove is to small for this place it on the top and put a few coals from the fire box on the lid. The only hard part is learning when the stove is at the right temp and how long to bake, the baking part you can usually tell by smell but the temp part takes some practice so you dont burn the bottom.
Do a gogle search on dutch oven bread, most will be for campfires just adjust for your stove

As I wright I am cooking a duck in a dutch oven.
I would use caution cooking something on a stove using a trivet. The pot will not keep the stove cool and the heat with the added weight may warp the stove top.
Mike

I dont think a six leg trivet with a 5lb pot on it is going to warp the top of my quad. been doing it for awhile now and even on my old fisher and never had a problem

If one was to warp the top of that Quad cooking on it you would have to have that thing seriously hot.

I don't heat anything that would splatter since my stove is in the living room, but I like to toast tortillas directly on my plate steel stove. One has to move them quickly so they don't stick, and even then it's good to have a little ash on the stovetop. I've reheated pizza inside on a super low bed of coals on aluminum foil, it adds a wonderful smokey flavour. When I was in the woods logging we'd cook on the stove but had to get it so hot it made the cabin very unpleasant, even with the doors and windows open.

Beanscoot said:
I don't heat anything that would splatter since my stove is in the living room, but I like to toast tortillas directly on my plate steel stove. One has to move them quickly so they don't stick, and even then it's good to have a little ash on the stovetop. I've reheated pizza inside on a super low bed of coals on aluminum foil, it adds a wonderful smokey flavour. When I was in the woods logging we'd cook on the stove but had to get it so hot it made the cabin very unpleasant, even with the doors and windows open.

Try a pizza stone on top of low coals, you can cook it from scratch. works good for tortillas as well, just preheat it on the top of the stove 1st or you may end up with pices of clay

I do usually when I get excess coaling in cold weather. A good way to get rid of the excess is to transfer the coals in an ash bucket and cook outdoors using a camp style dutch oven with the legs which I believe is the most versatile piece of cooking equipment ever made if you are out of electricity.

I have cooked pretty much everything in one even a pineapple upside down cake with success in one. It also works extremely well for bean dishes (from the dry state).

I used my Coleman Oven on top of my stove last night to make bread. It took a while for the oven to heat up and I only got it to 200-ish degrees. But, 2.5 hrs later I had 2 loaves of homemade bread. Perfect? No. The top was not golden the way the bottom of the loaf was. Took a while, but my house smelled like bread for most of that time. I am thinking of covering some of the 'vent' holes in the oven and see if it traps more heat. I am on a mission now!

Status
Not open for further replies.