Wood stove corner clearance help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SarahRae

Jun 1, 2023
Illinois
New here, we are rebuilding our wood stove into our skoolie and I have questions about clearances.

Wanting to put wood stove with hearth in a corner with heat shield on the two longest sides. The stove with hearth pad will be about 30" high off the floor. Also wanting to build a safety gate made of metal mesh from wall to wall to cover it.

Does my diagram of the stove on hearth pad make sense? (Stove is the box in the middle and the numbers are inches to combustible wall, heat shield and one inch air gap not pictured)

image000000.png

New here, we are rebuilding our wood stove into our skoolie and I have questions about clearances.

Wanting to put wood stove with hearth in a corner with heat shield on the two longest sides. The stove with hearth pad will be about 30" high off the floor. Also wanting to build a safety gate made of metal mesh from wall to wall to cover it.

Does my diagram of the stove on hearth pad make sense? (Stove is the box in the middle and the numbers are inches to combustible wall, heat shield and one inch air gap not pictured)

View attachment 313060
Hard to say anything without knowing the stove and required clearances of it

You have to look at your manual and it'll tell you how far from back corner to corner you can be to combustibles. The clearances are especially low if you use double walled stove pipe or a heat shield thing that goes on your pipe.

It is a custom made wood stove, measures 12" by 15". The heat shield is 24 guage metal with inch air gap and concrete board behind it. We're measuring 6" from stove to combustibles but not sure if we've done that right. And we have a double wall stove pipe

Custom-made, non-UL certified will require 36" clearance in all directions. This can be reduced to 12" on the sides and rear with proper, NFPA 211 wall shielding. The sheet metal needs to be on 1" spacers and have at least a 1" gap at the bottom and open at the top so that air can freely convect behind it. 6" is too close.

Has the insurance company been contacted to see if they will underwrite the installation?

The stove may have optional rear heat shield. I have one and it reduces the clearance. The stove manual will have this information.

The stove may have optional rear heat shield. I have one and it reduces the clearance. The stove manual will have this information.
It's a custom made stove meaning not listed. So it will just be nfpa211 standards for unlisted stoves

Yes, custom stove. Even if it has one, the shield is not UL-tested.