Wood stove costing me hours at work.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
bigdog said:
Wet1 said:
bigdog said:
The house sometimes gets down to about 65 when I work 12x8 because my wife wont go into the basement alone if Im not there.

How old is your wife???

She is 36. But the guy who lived here before us died in the basement. We are getting an English Mastiff for christmas so maybe he will keep her company to go throw a couple of logs on.

Hey the guy who lived in my house before us died in the basement too. I'm not a big believer in ghosts and whatnot, but I kid you not I can head down to check the woodstove at any given point and there is about a 50/50 chance the poker I hang on the cement wall off to the side of the stove will be swinging back and forth in about a 3" arc. Could be 8 hrs since anyone has been down there. Still haven't completely explained that one to myself...right now I'm working on talking myself into it being the heat rising off the stove moving the cast iron poker.

But hey, he heated the house with a giant riteway in the basement and a better n' ben's upstairs - so I figure even if he is there he can't be half bad and he's probably happy to see a woodstove still cranking away in the house.

And I don't care if the poker flies right off the wall - it ain't going to stop me from napping on the futon infront of the woodstove.

NitroDave said:
Now if you could train the spirit to load the woodstove for you...you would have it made. :p

With the creosote buildup that was in the chimney when we moved in, I'm not sure I want the guy touching my stove:)

I just started getting up earlier. It sometimes is a 1/2 hour ordeal with two stoves, ashes, wood ect. I think its worth it. I havnt had a gas bill over $40 in 7 years

Status
Not open for further replies.