Wood Stove, diy outdoor fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MagdalenaP

Burning Hunk
Nov 10, 2018
Tilbury, ON
Has anyone created an outdoor fire place using a wood stove, and brick?

I have an old wood stove, no names, but similar to the old fishers, that's outside now. Would it be possible to enclose the top and sides with regular old red bricks? Mainly for looks.

Thanks in advance.

I have an old wood stove, no names, but similar to the old fishers, that's outside now. Would it be possible to enclose the top and sides with regular old red bricks? Mainly for looks.

Thanks in advance.
yes no brick needed for me. works great. well a few bricks to help prop up the single wall pipe.

5B907725-85C9-4E5D-86A9-7080A0947D1D.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Mt Bob
It'll rust quickly, and it may get too hot with the bricks preventing it to radiate its heat outward (leading to warping, cracking, overfiring - though the draft will be a lot less).

But if away from combustibles (deck, home, etc., but also wildfire fuel (!)), I see no issue in doing it however you want. Clearances don't really matter anymore if you are outside and away from combustibles.

Thanks in advance.
I can almost smell it rusting, from here. Each warm morning, condensate will form between the cool bricks and the stove, and unless some means is provided for good airflow thru that space, will fail to dry very quickly.

That said, I've now owned three outdoor fireplaces, at three different houses. Why not just build out of stone or brick, and skip the stove?

Reactions: jalmondale
Thanks for the advice everyone.

I just figured, we have the stove there, so no need to purchase new firebrick to build, and this would be a rustic build since we have tons of red brick from our neighbours old barn that he tore down. No need for a concrete pad, just some pavers under the stove.

If I were to do it I’d think how to use it as an outside oven maybe. Wood fired pizza?? It’s not designed very well for that but you are look for a project.

Reactions: jalmondale
Federal airtight came to me rusted and busted maybe 20 years ago. Been out here ever since. Probably has another 20-30 years in it. Tag still looks like new. Ha.

E9224B66-D550-4EEE-917C-B3DDEB67DBE5.jpeg 6273F8D2-208C-43A1-8F5F-517A07089FEF.jpeg 9DF827C3-0198-4B4D-9348-DBCE83B2231A.jpeg B72F574D-0B5D-4120-A28B-4722F245B7E5.jpeg

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I just figured, we have the stove there, so no need to purchase new firebrick to build, and this would be a rustic build since we have tons of red brick from our neighbours old barn that he tore down. No need for a concrete pad, just some pavers under the stove.
Maybe just make a nice pad out of the brick, paint the stove with outdoor barbeque paint, and run it without stacking bricks on/around it?

I use burnt out Vermont castings stove we pull out for people the same way. They last atleast 5 years before they start to fall apart. Then they get scrapped. They would have anyway I just got a bit more use out of them