Wood Stove Exhaust Pipe .... Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Parks

Nov 9, 2022
Bristow, OK
A little background. Bought our house on property out in the sticks ust outside of Bristow OK. Prior owners had a real nice large Buck Stove in the living room. The Stove is in great condition but the location was terrible. I took the stove out, demoed the "rock" hearth it was on and built a much nicer hearth about 8' over in the corner of the living room. You can see in the pics the former location and now the new location of stove. Here are my questions.

I obviously need to reconnect my vent/exhaust pipe. Only option is to use the "throught ceiling" in it's current location but run the new vent pipe down out of the ceiling following the slope of the ceiling and then dropping it directly into the flue collar. Prior owner used single wall for this stove inside the living space. Not sure what is used in the through ceiling and up through the exterior chimney above the roof line on the exterior. THere is not attic space to verify anything in the ceiling area.

I live in the sticks so mostly worried about doing it right and not burning down the house. Is single wall stove pipe between the stove and the ceiling acceptable? I will have the stove pipe running about 18"-24" below and parallel to the slope of the ceiling with several ceiling mounted custom brackets. Seems like this should be double walled stove pipe, right? If in fact I should be using double walled will this require me to replace the box in the ceiling to a larger overall diameter to accept, what i think would be a laarger overall diameter stove pipe? Sorry for the beginner questions. Feel free to ask any questions you may have. BTW, it is exceptionally difficult to get anyone who's an expert stove guy out here to look at what i need done and commit to anything. Hopefully this all makes sense. Thanks in advance.

Pic 1.jpgPic 2.jpgPic 4.jpgPic 7.jpg

It is required by some stove mfgs. and strongly recommended by others to use double-wall stovepipe here due to the long run. This is to maintain draft and keep creosote accumulation down. It's all I would use here.

Reactions: Parks
Ceiling support should be fine whether you use double or single, it's the same inside diameter. If you know the brand of your chimney you can contact them to be sure you have the correct adapter. Obviously, clearance to SW has to be more than DW and the SW will lose more heat slowing draft and cooling smoke possibly more creosote. I ran single wall for years straight up to my chimney, my ceiling is lower than yours and no bends, with no problems but upgraded to DW this year. My pipe did get buildup but I clean my own so I just cleaned often as it gets warm here in the winter at times.

Ceiling support should be fine whether you use double or single, it's the same inside diameter. If you know the brand of your chimney you can contact them to be sure you have the correct adapter. Obviously, clearance to SW has to be more than DW and the SW will lose more heat slowing draft and cooling smoke possibly more creosote. I ran single wall for years straight up to my chimney, my ceiling is lower than yours and no bends, with no problems but upgraded to DW this year. My pipe did get buildup but I clean my own so I just cleaned often as it gets warm here in the winter at times.
Thanks Eman'. Question for you. If i go to 8" double wall and that is 8" inside diameter but currently have 8" single wall will the box at my ceiling need to be replaced to accept the larger overall outside diameter of the double wall pipe? Thanks

I just swapped my SW for DW and the adapter at the bottom of my chimney fit the DW. My chimney is Supervent or Duravent and the pipe is Selkirk but they are all the same company. I called to check compatibility before I ordered. I called HST about their pipe and they said it wouldn't mate to my adapter.