Wood stove heat shield clearances

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dalton40

Jul 23, 2023
Kansas City
Just recently bought a pleasant hearth 1800 sq ft wood stove. The owners manual only gives heat shield clearances for combustible walls. My heat shield is 1” off the wall by metal studs, 1/2” concrete board then 30 gauge corrugated metal. My single wall flue is way past 18” from drywall. Any advice on my corner clearances from the corner of the stove to heat shield? Trying to hug my stove as close to the wall as I can.

Last edited:
With proper NFPA211, ventilated, wall shielding, the corner distance can be reduced to 12" as long as the single-wall stove pipe is still at least 18" away from any combustible.

Reactions: Dalton40