Wood stove identification and help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wtraditions

Mar 5, 2016
Kansas
hello, bought a new house that has a more modern stove then I'm use to. It doesn't have a damper just a small air control at the bottom. It is fire brick lined all through to include the fire box top area. Two questions. First is what brand or model is it? I can't find a label anywhere. Second is how is the smoke suppose to get through upper firebrick and into chimney? If I open the door it pours smoke into the house unless I tip a firebrick up allowing smoke to go up. Thanks for any help.
Has been cleaned I just wasn't here to ask the questions.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    48.7 KB · Views: 128
It's an older bay insert, not sure what brand. There should be a UL label on the side of the unit, but it would need to be pulled to see it. The upper brick is a baffle that lengthens the smoke path for a more complete burn. The fire and smoke can wrap around the front of the baffle then head back to the flue opening. This improves combustion efficiency making the stove heat better using less wood. The smoke spillage most likely is a symptom of another problem.

Do you know if the insert has a full liner connected to it, or is it just venting directly into the fireplace with the surround edges sealed? If there is no liner connected, that could be the source of the problem. .

It's an older bay insert, not sure what brand. There should be a UL label on the side of the unit, but it would need to be pulled to see it. The upper brick is a baffle that lengthens the smoke path for a more complete burn. The fire and smoke can wrap around the front of the baffle then head back to the flue opening. This improves combustion efficiency making the stove heat better using less wood. The smoke spillage most likely is a symptom of another problem.

Do you know if the insert has a full liner connected to it, or is it just venting directly into the fireplace with the surround edges sealed? If there is no liner connected, that could be the source of the problem. .

It has a full liner going up. The bricks in the top are tight from front to back. If I tip the front one it allows smoke to go up and then back. Drafts good then and all smoke goes up. Only when bricks are tight across top will it pour smoke into house

There needs to be a smoke path around the front of the baffle. Depending on the stove design this may be several inches. Can the bricks be pushed more to the rear? If not, it could be that someone substituted firebrick for the original baffle, or that this is a homemade baffle. Hard to know without knowing the original stove or having some documentation.

If you can take some pictures of the inside of the insert and of the baffle then post them here, that may help.

Last edited:
There needs to be a smoke path around the front of the baffle. Depending on the stove design this may be several inches. Can the bricks be pushed more to the rear? If not, it could be that someone substituted firebrick for the original baffle, or that this is a homemade baffle. Hard to know without knowing the original stove or having some documentation.

If you can take some pictures of the inside of the insert and of the baffle then post them here, that may help.

Here is a picture inside. You can see where I flipped the brick on right up. The front brick is 1/2 inch shorter than rest or it wouldn't fit. Maybe it isn't suppose to have the front ones in.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    41.3 KB · Views: 98
That sure looks intentional. It's a little like the Napoleon stove design with the central secondary air feed. Is there a smoke path over the front support angle metal? Can you reach your hand over there and feel a gap? How close is that angle metal support to the front door of the stove?

That sure looks intentional. It's a little like the Napoleon stove design with the central secondary air feed. Is there a smoke path over the front support angle metal? Can you reach your hand over there and feel a gap? How close is that angle metal support to the front door of the stove?
There is this one spot in the front where there is a gap. But the gap is filled with a gasket or some type of material. Haven't looked above yet as it is still hot.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    40.2 KB · Views: 81
Status
Not open for further replies.