Wood stove in garage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Randy16340

Apr 27, 2023
Hello all. I’m going to install a wood stove in my garage but not sure how to install I’m using a cathedral support box. I have 2x6 on 16 center. Now roof is tin Question is do I cut a hole in tin roof and slide the box down so the one end comes flush with tin then cut the other three sides off flush. Thank you

Hello all. I’m going to install a wood stove in my garage but not sure how to install I’m using a cathedral support box. I have 2x6 on 16 center. Now roof is tin Question is do I cut a hole in tin roof and slide the box down so the one end comes flush with tin then cut the other three sides off flush. Thank you
First off be aware that if you are in the USA woostoves are not allowed in garages by code anywhere in the country. That being said many people still do it. But there is a very real possibility that insurance won't pay a claim if anything happens.

As far as installing frame out your opening underneath cut the angle on the box then attach it. Only cut the roof as needed to properly install the metal flashing

The 16340 zip code looked like it was probably here in PA, so I looked it up. Pittsfield, PA!

No bueno, on code and insurance in USA. But if you do it, at least get it up on a pedestal. I believe Canada and some other countries allow stoves in garages, if they're on a pedestal. The issue is potential for gasoline fumes near the floor.