Wood stove in shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
You wouldn’t recommend going through the roof with chimney pipe and no support kit? Just pipe through roof flashing.
What would hold it in place?

I only need 3, 3 foot long pipes so I figured I could send it straight up and support it with those roof mounted chimney support rods?

I like that unit that supports the chimney pipe to the rafters. Does that go inside or outside? I’ll have to look into that. Seems cheaper than the kit I posted.

What’s that called.

That rsk part would probably be my cheapest option. Do I even need flashing with that piece or just pipe through the roof.

That rsk part would probably be my cheapest option. Do I even need flashing with that piece or just pipe through the roof.
If you want to keep water out yes.

First big wind or heavy wet snow those rods are going to collapse, you need a support box to hold the downward force of the pipe, figure (3) 3ft lengths totaled together is about 55lbs

Ya you guys are right, I forgot about water going down the pipe. I have to watch some videos on how to install that cathedral support kit.

I would love to buy an entire kit but I can’t seem to find what I’m looking for.

any brands you guys suggest? Or where to look instead of Canadian tire or Lowe’s. I live in Canada.

I keep watching videos on how to install cathedral support kits but none of them are answering my question. They all come in as a box but the roof is slanted so do I need to cut it to my roof angle? If I put it through the roof they’ll be a box sticking out of my roof.

The box gets trimmed to the roof angle. Download and read the instructions for installation.

Attachments

• duravent cathedral box roof side.JPG
    duravent cathedral box roof side.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 89
Can you post an interior and exterior shot of the shed roof so that we have a better picture of what is there?

If like to put the pipe in between the two joint at the right side of the first picture.

Attachments

• 4555CCB3-3A82-4539-BE96-777F0A7778F6.jpeg
    4555CCB3-3A82-4539-BE96-777F0A7778F6.jpeg
    172 KB · Views: 113
  • 8FCD66D6-869E-4EB8-82DD-5577FB58AB9C.jpeg
    8FCD66D6-869E-4EB8-82DD-5577FB58AB9C.jpeg
    145.3 KB · Views: 108
  • B48BC7C1-44C1-4665-A101-241DD6B1CDAF.jpeg
    B48BC7C1-44C1-4665-A101-241DD6B1CDAF.jpeg
    79.9 KB · Views: 117
  • 2451A3C8-BEEB-4729-8B03-FF0B446C2A37.jpeg
    2451A3C8-BEEB-4729-8B03-FF0B446C2A37.jpeg
    270.8 KB · Views: 116
Great. That's a nice shed. The pics help a lot. Before seeing them it was hard to know what you have there. You can use a short (12") cathedral support box for that location. Add 2x4 braces between the surrounding studs. The support box can then be tied into those braces and the adjacent stud.

Thank you, I’ll be looking today to buy some pipes for the shed. First I have to measure the pitch of my roof and hopefully get al the pipes I need. Can’t wait to get this installed

I believe my fireplace has to be 18 inches from combustibles. But if I put some sheet metal on the wall 1 inch from the wall can I move my stove closer?

I believe my fireplace has to be 18 inches from combustibles. But if I put some sheet metal on the wall 1 inch from the wall can I move my stove closer?
If the manual permits a clearance reduction using an NFPA211 design wall shield then the clearance can be reduced to 12". But remember that single wall stove pipe has a clearance of 18". If the stovepipe needs a clearance reduction too then it will need either wall or pipe shielding. Or switch to double-wall stovepipe which has a 6" clearance.

Ontario Canada. I’m taking with duravent people but they’re taking a long time to respond.

Thinking about buying one of these and don’t see much of a difference, was wondering if anything jumps out at you guys.

Vs