Q&A Wood Stove Insert clean out door

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I called a chimney sweep and they suggested that I have an access chimney door installed. The installation would involve cutting a hole in the chimney and placing a door that's accessible from the outside. They said that normal chimney sweep with a wood stove insert is about a $150, but with the outside access chimney door it would cost $60. The installation for the chimney door is $220.

Has anyone ever heard of this? Or is this a scam? I'm concerned about ripping out my brick chimney to install this access door.

Answer:

No....this doesn't sound like a scam. It is written into the one of the American National Standards: NFPA 211 for Chimneys, Fireplaces, Vents and Solid Fuel Burning Appliances. This is a standard in which State Building Codes and Fire Marshalls refer to when adopting their local codes.

The reason for the access door is to gain access to the smoke shelf and behind the fireplace damper area where the fireplace transitions into the chimney for cleaning. This area is extremely difficult to clean otherwise. An alternative to this would be to line your chimney with a stainless steel liner that would connect directly into your insert and run vertically to the top of the chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.