Wood-Stove insert for my fireplace or Pellet stove for my basement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jjarboe

Dec 11, 2009
Midwest
Hello, I am thinking about getting a wood-stove insert for my fireplace. I have found a nice used one for $600 that will fit. But it doesn't have a flu attachment. Instead it just has a damper that opens and closes. I guess if it is setting inside the fireplace and the damper is open the smoke will rise?

Also, the fireplace already has something called a heatilator. Do you know if I will have to remove the heatilator to install the insert?

I have a wood stove in the basement that I am currently using to heat the house. However, it takes too long to heat up. The fireplace is upstairs but isn't efficient.

Also, found a nice used Pellet stove for $1000 that I could put in the basement to replace the wood stove. Can I just connect a pellet stove to a wood stove flu or do I need to run pipe all the way up?

What would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

indiana said:
Hello, I am thinking about getting a wood-stove insert for my fireplace. I have found a nice used one for $600 that will fit. But it doesn't have a flu attachment. Instead it just has a damper that opens and closes. I guess if it is setting inside the fireplace and the damper is open the smoke will rise?

Also, the fireplace already has something called a heatilator. Do you know if I will have to remove the heatilator to install the insert?

I have a wood stove in the basement that I am currently using to heat the house. However, it takes too long to heat up. The fireplace is upstairs but isn't efficient.

Also, found a nice used Pellet stove for $1000 that I could put in the basement to replace the wood stove. Can I just connect a pellet stove to a wood stove flu or do I need to run pipe all the way up?

What would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

Oh boy . . . I'm bumping this thread to the top since I suspect you will want some of the more seasoned folks with experience in Heatilators and fireplaces to weigh in here.

A few items . . . depending on what you have for a fireplace you may or may not be able to throw in any old insert.

For the record, I would not want to install an insert with it venting into an existing chimney . . . it's not a good idea.

You are right . . . fireplaces are not very efficient . . . but again you want to determine what you have for a fireplace and what you can SAFELY (emphasis on safety which is why I capitalized this) install here.

Woodstoves and pelletstoves in basements tend to be hit or miss . . . uninsulated basement + tall chimney = generally unhappy folks. Some folks report better results with insulated basements. I suspect a pelletstove will not be much better in the basement. In general, it's a good idea to place these types of heating units (wood and pellets) in the actual living space where you plan to spend most of the time whenever possible.

No . . . pelletstoves have specific sized flues . . . you can use the existing chimney, but you should run the pipe all the way to the top for a safe install.

A pic of the FP would help alot.

Welcome to the forums !

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
A pic of the FP would help alot.

Welcome to the forums !

And a pic of the proposed insert, if possible.

And a pic of the stove. From the description it sounds like an old slammer. Not the best way to start out the new year. Given the tax credit, it seems like now is the best time to invest in a good new stove. As long as you burn dry wood it is going to save you in wood consumption and burn cleaner which should save you in flue cleaning costs and reduce the risk of chimney fires.

Here are pic's of the proposed insert. See how it just has a flap on the back? I think it might be an old one.

I am probably going to just look at new wood stoves for my basement. I saw a really nice wood furnace at Tractor Supply. It connects to the existing ductwork and has blowers to move the heat. That is probably the most efficient and safest Wood Heat option. Anyone have any experience with wood furnaces? Pros/Cons?

If I had the money I would get one of those outdoor wood stoves that heat water. But $1100 for the indoor wood furnace or $5000 for the outdoor boiler makes it cost prohibitive.

Thanks for all the help.

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 269
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 292
Status
Not open for further replies.