Wood stove insert in basement fireplace rebuild?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

new2this

Jan 21, 2024
Pennsylvania
Is it possible to put a wood burning insert in this basement corner (if I demo the current setup since it’s drywall) ? I am aware that I will need to essentially demo the existing drywall and build a masonry fireplace and then put the wood insert in that new fireplace.

Why? The current fireplace is gas. It does not heat very well , is old and needs repairs frequently, so I am looking to get a wood burning stove insert instead. We wouldn’t have to use it every day, but I imagine we would use it a few times a week.

Ceiling is 7 foot 2 in. Main heat source in house is an electric heat pump with aux heat source of oil if it gets really cold.

Note: I would rather not go with a freestanding, wood-burning stove option because I prefer the look of the fireplace insert and in the small basement space it works better with the layout.

Also, I know I will need new vent pipe and double wall pipe going up the side of the outside of the house for the chimney. In this side of the house there is no existing masonry chimney to use.

Vent outside from existing gas fireplace
Is it possible to use this existing hole as the spot for the thimble and then run up the side of the outside wall with double-walled pipe?
IMG_4607.jpeg IMG_4611.jpeg

What do you guys think? I do have a fireplace company locally that’s going to come out and take a look.

Not possible for an insert in there, but you know that. It's a vented gas zc fireplace.

A masonry fireplace would be difficult and very expensive if the weight could be well supported. For a fireplace look, the best bet might be to install a smaller, wood-burning, Zero Clearance (ZC) fireplace with an offset flue into a chased chimney on the outside.

Not possible for an insert in there, but you know that. It's a vented gas zc fireplace.

A masonry fireplace would be difficult and very expensive if the weight could be well supported. For a fireplace look, the best bet might be to install a smaller, wood-burning, Zero Clearance (ZC) fireplace with an offset flue into a chased chimney on the outside.
Thanks for the input. I am still learning all of this. This is a concrete slab also if that matters for the masonry weight (not sure how all that works...)

A zero clearance wood burning fireplace is possible? Ok what would be some model options? And what would it be installed against?

Yes, there are many brands and sizes of ZC fireplaces on the market. Good EPA models are made by the major manufacturers like Travis (FPX brand), SBI (Valcourt, Osburn), Pacific Energy, RSF, Quadrafire, Kozy, etc.