Wood Stove Insert Replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

avp4

Oct 21, 2021
Maryland
I'm pretty new to wood stoves and new to the forums here. I bought an older house (1963) about 3 years that has 2 fireplaces, 1 on the main floor and 1 in the basement. There is an old Buck wood insert on the main floor. I'm not sure how long it's been there but it was not installed correctly as there is no liner in the chimney. While looking into replacing it, I also found out my flue is gapped and my hearth does not extend out far enough to meet code. The first quote I've got is to replace the Buck with a Regency CI2700, installed properly and up to code and extending the hearth. The quote is around $8k total. Does this seem reasonable considering the amount of work involved? I just want to make sure I'm not overpaying. Also, I'm on the east coast. They also gave the option of an Osburn stove that was about $2k cheaper. Is the Regency that much better? Thanks!

Which model Osburn?

I don't think the i2700 is worth $2000 more. The Matrix is good-looking and simpler. The burn time may be shorter than the i2700 running on low, but the glass will stay cleaner.