Wood Stove installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, I have looked up SS liners in 8". Looks like going (retail) rate is $750-$850 for 25 ft. I'm pretty sure that was non-insulated. I only have so much money to spend (like everyone else I would imagine) so I will have to weigh the cost/advantage of insulated liner over non.

I never could get anyone to the house. I had 2 different guys set up estimate times and neither showed. One even rescheduled for Saturday morning, and then didn't show a 2nd time.
So I decided to tackle this project myself.
My original chimney flue is large enough to ALMOST get an 8" SS liner through it. A 6" will go, but not the 8, so to use the 8 inch, I will need to do some modification. However, it doesn't appear to need anything done to the brick. What is the downside to using 6" liner instead of 8? In case we move, and need to sell the house, I would rather have not modified the original flue if I can get by without doing so.

Thoughts?

ryjen: I am a newbie here so I am NOT an expert, but "begreen" is and posted this about your model stove and 6" vs. 8" a while back....
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...outside-chimney-with-two-15-deg-elbows.74212/

As for fireplace contractors not coming out....you are kidding, right? LOL

After two finally showed up, they each quoted me $4,500 to get the job done. I came to hearth.com and realized I could do it myself for about $1,200.

Good luck.

I wish I were kidding, but it may be a blessing (and money saver) in disguise.

Status
Not open for further replies.