wood stove installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rusty123

Mar 1, 2018
southern indiana
Hello, am looking to get some information here on how to hook up a wood stove to an existing masonry chimney. In recent years, the home was heated with a fuel oil furnace in the basement of a 3 level home. The fuel furnace is broken and I have chosen to switch to wood heat for this year. I would like to install a Fisher Grandpa bear in my house on the main level. See attached pictures the chimney is located between the blue doors. Also need to know the best location of the hole, do I run horizontal from the rear of the stove into the wall or do I put some elbows in and go farther up the wall to enter the chimney. Any feedback would be appreciated mainly wanted to know if you think this would work for installation and how to cut a hole in the chimney and any other details that I may have missed. thanks.

Attachments

• wall -.JPG
    wall -.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 304
  • wall.JPG
    wall.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 320
Hello, am looking to get some information here on how to hook up a wood stove to an existing masonry chimney. In recent years, the home was heated with a fuel oil furnace in the basement of a 3 level home. The fuel furnace is broken and I have chosen to switch to wood heat for this year. I would like to install a Fisher Grandpa bear in my house on the main level. See attached pictures the chimney is located between the blue doors. Also need to know the best location of the hole, do I run horizontal from the rear of the stove into the wall or do I put some elbows in and go farther up the wall to enter the chimney. Any feedback would be appreciated mainly wanted to know if you think this would work for installation and how to cut a hole in the chimney and any other details that I may have missed. thanks.
Have you had the chimney inspected to verify the liners are in good condition and you have the required clearances from the chimney to combustibles? A grandpa bear is a huge stove with huge clearance requirements and large hearth requirements. Do you have room for that?

Do you already own the stove? There are clearance, chimney and hearth rules that need to be honored. The old Fisher is most likely unlisted and will to have 36" clearances in all directions. This can be reduced to 12" with proper NFPA 211 wall shielding. Stove pipe also has clearance requirements. Single-wall will be 18" and double wall stove pipe is 6" clearance from the wall.

Before starting, check with your insurance to see if they will allow a pre-EPA or unlisted stove to be installed. Some do not.

Will the blue cabinet be eliminated? Also, is there a return grille in the floor? If so this may be a poor location for a stove. Are there other options?