Q&A Wood Stove Installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I have inherited a wood stove of approx 20 yrs old. I have a much smaller one currently working in my home. I have been told by the building inspector that they will not inspect it (the install) without the instructions in the manual. How do I get a manual? And is there a model # somewhere? It is aside loading stove with the words Fire View on the end.

Answer:

The inspector is wrong, but that does not mean he will listen to reason. He should then say the same thing about every washer, dryer,toaster and appliance in the home. The reality is, that in the absence of documentation, the stove is classified as generic and clearances are given in the codes for this type of stove. This is similar to when a person wants to install an antique stove. It is unreasonable to think paper manuals will exist for stoves of 20 years age or older

Status
Not open for further replies.