Wood stove on shared wall with Breaker Panel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BlackIronBurn

Feb 5, 2018
Newfoundland
Hello. Thank you for having at look at my question.

I'm looking to install a wood stove in my basement. It will be in a corner section with one wall being the outside wall, and the other wall will be just a room divider (not an outside wall). The divider wall of that corner will have my breaker panel on the opposite side of that shared wall. Basically, breaker panel on one side, and the wood stove on the other.

My question is, is there a regulation against this? Will I have to put up some kind of shielding on the wood stove wall to protect the breaker from thermal radiation? I will put the wood stove at its proper distance away from anything combustible, but I wasn't sure if there would be an issue with the breaker panel being close by. The walls are finished with typical gyproc.

Thank you for any help with this issue.

upload_2018-2-9_13-5-10.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Should be ok as long as the required clearances for the stove are honored or exceeded. There is no harm in putting up additional shielding if you want to increase peace of mind, but it is not necessary.