Wood Stove Placement Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

diesel59

Oct 19, 2015
Kentucky
With feedback from the forum in another thread, I now know that installing a wood stove where my current gas fireplace is would be sub-optimal and expensive. Thanks for that help!

I don't have any pictures of this right now, so bear with me as I try to explain it. We recently moved into a two-story that has a large single-story addition on the back of it that extends about 19' past where the 2nd story ends. With keeping the 10-2-1 rule in mind, if I installed the stove on the back wall (as close as I can with clearances) would I have to take the chimney all the way up past the roof of the 2nd story or would I be safe with the distance that I have described?

I'll try and get a picture to explain what I'm describing and post it later, but any help would be appreciated!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

That would be the 10-3-2 rule. It sounds like the 2 story section would be greater than 10 ft away so that should not affect chimney height. You would want the total flue height (stovepipe = chimney) to be at least 15-16' tall for best performance.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/considering-a-wood-stove.131813/#post-1772714
10-3-2 rule.JPG

Thanks begreen! I don't know where I got 10-2-1. :)

I guess I should have made my question more clear. Can the top of the chimney be below the rest of the roof, i.e. next to the side of the house if over 10' away? Maybe you're already giving me that answer and my newb-ness is showing...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Yes. Go to the link provided for some more discussion on chimney placement.

Status
Not open for further replies.