Wood Stove Placement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

zachgrove1

Oct 17, 2019
Tulsa, OK
Hi All!

I recently decided to add a wood stove to my 1200 sqft. pole-barn, uninsulated, but am curious regarding the placement - I picked up a 55 gallon drum and a conversion kit for the stove. Please see the attached diagram of how I have the shop set-up, my goal is to distribute the heat as efficiently as possible and also use space as efficiently as possible.

I'm not opposed to changing the current layout. Any suggestions on placement or installation tips would be welcome!

Attachments

• Shop Diagram.jpg
    Shop Diagram.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 89
Looks more like a garage. Check with the local authority to find regs about whether a woodstove is permissible in a garage.

Do what begreen says first. If allowed then make sure it is up off the ground by specified level b/c it looks like you will have combustible gases in the building.

I would put it where you have the bench. May take up room but it will help help keep walls of office warm and still heat the rest of the space better being in the center.You will also have a taller pipe to help with draft and not having to worry about bracing on the roof.

I'll certainly check with the county. This is an independent 1200 sqft, pole-barn style building on a concrete slab. My plan is to place the stove a minimum of 36" away from anything, and up on a couple cinder blocks - again, I'll check with the county on any ordnance on this for proper height. Thanks for the tip!

As local statutes go...I live out in the country. I'd be extremely surprised if I would be legally limited in this case.

Raising it up to 24" off the floor may help. If they say ok, then the main thing is to invest in proper and safe flue system, with the correct transition through the wall or roof to class A chimney pipe.

Have you considered insulating it? It would be a lot easier to heat with something smaller and more durable than a barrel stove.

I've thought about insulating, but for what I'm looking for - it's just not worth the expense. This wood stove is a cheap, effective way to heat the un-inulated portion of the shop while I'm out working on projects. Most likely once a week during the winter. For the cost of a drum, the conversion kit, and the insulated stove pipe I salvaged from an old building it fits the bill.

If the weather in Oklahoma was harsher for more of the year, maybe it'd be worth insulating.

I'll certainly check with the county.

As local statutes go...I live out in the country. I'd be extremely surprised if I would be legally limited in this case.

Most Likely it is a state requirement. Your county/city, by default, will be the state requirement. Only time it is different is if the county/city has enacted a more stringent requirement or won’t let you do it at all. Either way you will have a higher requirement.

I'll certainly check with the county. This is an independent 1200 sqft, pole-barn style building on a concrete slab. My plan is to place the stove a minimum of 36" away from anything, and up on a couple cinder blocks - again, I'll check with the county on any ordnance on this for proper height. Thanks for the tip!

It is national code which has been adopted by your state. It is absolutely a code violation. This may not matter to you but you need to be aware that it will matter to your insurance company if you ever have to file a claim involving that stove in any way. They will without question deny that claim.